The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) would soon be setting up a skill development centre at 'Bharosa,' an integrated support centre for distressed women and children in Hyderabad, Telangana.
The centre would be aimed at empowering vulnerable and marginalised women by imparting skills training.
• 'Bharosa,' is a state-of-the-art centre set up by the Hyderabad City Police to support women and children who are victims of violence.
• Since its establishment in 2016, a total of 3,560 victims have approached the centre with a range of problems.
• Among these, over 2,600 victims have sought aid with regard to domestic violence.
• The UNDP has proposed to set up a skill development centre exclusively for the clients of Bharosa.
• The necessary arrangements for setting up of the centre are already underway and it would start in the next two-three months.
• The consultations with agencies that provide training are also underway. The training duration will vary on the basis of the kind of skill imparted.
The Bharosa centre provides 24x7 services related to police, medical, legal, prosecution, psycho-therapeutic counselling and relief and rehabilitation services in completely private counseling rooms to maintain confidentiality and privacy.
The centre is equipped with well-trained staff and modern gadgets, including facilities like video conferencing so that the victims need not go to the court.
A large number of victims who approach 'Bharosa' centre are not highly educated.
Hence, the skill trainings would be given depending on the educational qualification of the victims.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
The Hyderabad Police had signed an agreement with UNDP under the 'Disha' project to build capacities and skills of women affected by violence, in order to help make them economically self-sufficient.
The agreement extends support to enable these women to learn marketable skills and connect with income opportunities.
The state police also has plans to impart various skills in the field of entrepreneurship and certain fields like desk jobs.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.