Union Cabinet approved Implementation of Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana — Gramin
To achieve the objective of the Housing for All by 2022, the Government already approved the implementation of urban component of the Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana on 25 June 2015.
Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 23 March 2016 approved the implementation of rural housing scheme of the Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana – Gramin (PMAY-G). This will help achieve the goal of Housing for All by 2022.
The total expenditure that will be incurred on implementing the project in a span of 3 years from 2016-17 to 2018-19 stands at 81975 crore rupees.
Details of implementing the Scheme
• Providing financial assistance for construction of 1 crore pucca houses to all houseless and households living in dilapidated houses in rural areas from 2016-17 to 2018-19
• The scheme would be implemented in rural areas throughout India except Delhi and Chandigarh.
• The cost of houses would be shared between Centre and States in the ratio 60:40 in plain areas and 90:10 for North Eastern and hilly states.
• Enhancing the unit assistance to 120000 rupees in plain areas and to 130000 rupees in hilly states/difficult areas /IAP districts
• Using Socio-Economic Caste Census 2011 data for identification of beneficiaries.
• Setting up of National Technical Support Agency at national level to provide technical support in achieving the target set under the project.
• The beneficiary is entitled to 90 days of unskilled labour from MGNREGA. This will be ensured through a server linkage between PMAY and MGNREGA.
• Funds will be transferred electronically directly to the account of the beneficiary.
• The beneficiary would be facilitated to avail loan of up to 70000 rupees for construction of the house which is optional.
• The unit size will be enhanced from the existing 20 square meter to up to 25 square meter including a dedicated area for hygienic cooking.
The President Pranab Mukherjee’s in May 2014 while addressing the Joint Session of Parliament announced that "By the time the nation completes 75 years of its Independence (by 2022), every family will have a pucca house with water connection, toilet facilities, 24x7 electricity supply and access". This was reflected in the Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley presentation of Budget 2015-16 wherein he announced to achieve 'Housing for All' by 2022.
Subsequently, the Government approved the urban component on 25 June 2015 which is under implementation.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App