Union Cabinet on 14 December 2016 approved signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Kyrgyzstan on cooperation in the field of agriculture and food related industry. The agreement was proposed by the Union Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare.
Highlights of the agreement
• It covers various activities in the field of agriculture including exchange of information, animal breeding, Avian Influenza and Food & Mouth Disease (FMD), veterinary medicine, plant growing, production and certification of seed and information technology on efficient use of food processing.
• It provides for cooperation in the field of protection of plant variety rights, agricultural research & education, food safety, agricultural, food trade and horticulture, aquaculture and fisheries, etc.
• It provides for setting up of a Joint Working Group of representatives from both the countries which will prepare plans of cooperation and will provide solutions to the problems arising during the implementation of this MoU.
• The agreement will enter into force on the date of its signing and it will remain in force for five years.
• The time duration of the agreement can also be automatically extended for a subsequent period of five years unless and until any of the side gives written notice to terminate the agreement at least six months before its expiration.
Who: Union Cabinet
When: 14 December 2016