The Union Government on 23 June 2016 launched India’s first pilot programme to run two wheelers on Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) in New Delhi.
The first of its kind programme was launched by Dharmendra Pradhan, Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Gas, and Prakash Javadekar, Minister of State for Environment, Forests & Climate Change.
Key highlights of the programme
• The programme is implemented by Indraprastha Gas Limited (IGL) and GAIL (India) Limited.
• The programme is implemented under Hawa Badlo movement, which is supported by GAIL. The movement is a people’s initiative to fight air pollution.
• The programme involves 50 CNG retrofitted two wheelers.
• The scooters are being retrofitted with CNG kit manufactured by Ituk Manufacturing India Pvt. Ltd.
• The type approval of the CNG kit has been taken from Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI) as well as Delhi’s Transport Department.
• The type approvals of all components, parts, assemblies in the kit have been received from Petroleum and Explosives Safety Organization (PESO), International Center for Automotive Technology (ICAT) and Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI).
• The CNG kit for two wheelers comprises two CNG cylinders of 4.8 litre water capacity each, which can be filled with up to 1 kg of CNG in each cylinder.
• These CNG retrofitted two wheelers can drive up to 120 kilometres in a single fill.
• These CNG retrofitted two wheelers emit 75% lesser hydrocarbon, while the CO emissions are 20% lesser as compared to petrol driven scooters.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
Where: New Delhi
When: 23 June 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.