Union Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) on 14 March 2015 announced to appoint Olympic Bronze medallist boxer MC Mary Kom as the brand ambassador of the North-East region.
She as the brand ambassador of the Northeast will showcase the potential of the region which offers 2.4 trillion rupees business opportunities across various sectors.
Her name was selected from the list of shortlisted famous personalities by a committee headed by DoNER Minister Jitendra Singh.
About MC Mary Kom
• Mary Kom is nicknamed Magnificent Mary.
• She is a five-time World Amateur Boxing champion and the only woman boxer to have won a medal in each of the six world championships.
• She won a bronze medal in 2012 London Olympics in the flyweight (51 kg) category and is the only Indian woman boxer to qualify for this category.
• She is also first Indian woman boxer to get a Gold Medal in the 2014 Asian Games held at Incheon, South Korea.
• She belongs to Kom tribal community of the north-eastern state of Manipur.
• She had announced to quit boxing after the Rio de Janeiro Olympics in 2016.
• Padma Bhushan (2013)
• Padma Shree (2010)
• Arjuna Award for Boxing (2003)
• A biographical sports drama film featuring Priyanka Chopra in and as Mary Kom was released in 2014. It was directed by Omung Kumar
Where: North-East region
When: 14 March 2015