23 June: United Nations Public Service Day
The United Nations Public Service Day was celebrated by the United Nations (UN) on 23 June 2016.The day was celebrated to mark the invaluable contributions of public servants and administrators to build a better world for all.
The 2016 United Nations Public Service Day was celebrated at the United Nations Headquarters in New York with a High-level Knowledge Sharing Panel on Leaving No One Behind: Innovative Institutional Approaches and Public Service Delivery.
This is the first time that the Day is celebrated after the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development was adopted by all United Nations Member States.
About United Nations Public Service Day
• The UN Public Service Day is intended to celebrate the value and virtue of public service to the community.
• It highlights the contribution of public service in the development process and recognizes the work of public servants.
• It also encouraged young people to pursue careers in the public sector.
• On this day, the United Nations awards the public servants with the United Nations Public Service Award, the most prestigious international recognition of excellence in public service.
• The award Ceremony was established in 2003.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App