Veteran Congress leader and Rajya Sabha MP, Palvai Govardhan Reddy passed away on 9 June 2017 after suffering a cardiac arrest. He was 80.
Govardhan Reddy is reported to have suffered the attack early in the morning, while he was on his way to Manali to attend a parliamentary standing committee meeting. He was immediately rushed to a government hospital in Shimla, where he is reported to have passed away. He is survived by his wife, two sons and a daughter.
Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao expressed his shock and grief over the Congress leader's sudden demise. Rao also directed Chief Secretary SP Singh and Resident Commissioner Arvind Kumar to make arrangements to bring Reddy's mortal remains back to Hyderabad from Kulu.
About P Govardhan Reddy
• Reddy was born on 19 November 1936 at Nadimpally village in Mahabubnagar district. He had completed his Bachelor’s degree from Vivekavardhini College, Osmania University
• He was a five-time MLA from Mahabubnagar district. He was first elected as an MLA in 1967 and became an MP in 2012.
• He had been elected to the Legislative Assembly of both Andhra Pradesh before bifurcation and Telangana after bifurcation.
• He had also served one term as a member of the Legislative Council in 1979.
• He also served as the Secretary of Andhra Pradesh Youth Congress during the tenure of first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru.
• Since 2014, he was representing Telangana in the Rajya Sabha.
Several leaders from both Telangana and Andhra Pradesh condoled Reddy’s death. Vice-President and Rajya Sabha Chairman, Mohammad Hamid Ansari also condoled his passing and stated that Reddy was an active and much-respected member of the Rajya Sabha and he will be remembered for his relentless efforts towards the welfare of farmers in Telangana.
When: 9 June 2017