14 May to 20 May 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise at ease. The week's updated quizzes cover the topics like 2018 Nikkei Asia Prize, Swachh Survekshan-2018 and first female director of CIA among others.
1. Name the Intellectual Property mascot that was launched recently?
a) IP Nani
b) IP Chotu
c) IP Guru
d) IP Dadi
2. Which Indian personality was honoured with the 2018 Nikkei Asia Prize in Japan?
a) Kailash Satyarthi
b) Bindeshwar Pathak
c) Har Gobind Khorana
d) Kiran Bedi
3. Under its new loan waiver scheme, the Rajasthan state government would be providing how much interest-free loan to the people belonging to SC/ST and OBC community?
a) Rs 5 Lakh
b) Rs 2 Lakh
c) Rs 3 Lakh
d) Rs 4.5 Lakh
4. The Union government announced to boost the manpower and infrastructure of which force?
a) National Security Guard (NSG)
b) Border Security Force (BSF)
c) Indian Coast Guard (ICG)
d) Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP)
5. Which country cut off funding for a system that monitored the flow of greenhouse gases?
c) United States
d) North Korea
6. Which city was named as the India’s cleanest city, as per Swachh Survekshan-2018?
7. Which was the world’s largest remittance-receiving country in 2017, as per ‘RemitSCOPE – Remittance markets and opportunities – Asia and the Pacific’?
8. Which bank was recently barred by RBI from giving fresh loans?
a) Dena Bank
b) Oriental Bank of Commerce
c) Canara Bank
d) Karnataka Bank
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
9. Who has been sworn in as the new Minister of State in the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting?
a) Vijay Goel
b) Prakash Javadekar
c) Harsh Vardhan
d) Rajyavardhan Rathore
10. The World Health Organisation launched which comprehensive plan to eliminate trans fat in foods by 2023?
b) TRANS HEALTH
11. Who has been appointed as the first female director of Central Intelligence Agency?
a) Nikki Haley
b) Sarah Sanders
c) Ivanka Trump
d) Gina Haspel
12. What is the India’s position in the world in 2017 in terms of solar market, as per Mercom Communications’ latest report?
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) IP Nani
The Minister of Commerce and Industry Suresh Prabhu launched the Intellectual Property (IP) mascot – IP Nani – at the conference on National Intellectual Property Rights Policy in New Delhi on May 16, 2018.
2. (b) Bindeshwar Pathak
Bindeshwar Pathak, the founder of Sulabh International, was honoured with the 2018 Nikkei Asia Prize in Japan for his contribution to Asia’s development. Pathak is among the three who have been conferred with the award. Others are Ma Jun (China) & Professor Nguyen Thanh Liem (Vietnam).
3. (b) Rs 2 Lakh
Under its new loan waiver scheme, the Rajasthan state government would be providing Rs 2 lakh worth interest-free loans to people belonging to SC/ ST community and other backward classes for the purpose of skill development and to create resources for employment.
4. (d) Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP)
The Union government has decided to boost the manpower and infrastructure of the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP). Nine new battalions, a strategic sector headquarters on the front, a dozen patrol camps and 47 new border outposts along the China border over the next few years will be created.
5. (c) United States
US President Donald Trump’s administration has cut off the funding for NASA system that monitors the flow of greenhouse gases. The move comes at a time when the world is struggling to combat climate change. The Carbon Monitoring system had till now used satellite and aircraft instruments to monitor carbon dioxide and methane levels remotely, spending $10m each year.
6. (a) Indore
Indore was ranked India’s first cleanest city, as per latest survey ‘Swachh Survekshan-2018’. Bhopal has been ranked second and Chandigarh third in the survey at the national level.
7. (a) India
According to the ‘RemitSCOPE – Remittance markets and opportunities – Asia and the Pacific’, India was the largest remittance-receiving country in the world in 2017, with migrant workers from the country sending home 69 billion US dollars.
8. (a) Dena Bank
Taking into account the high Non-Performing Assets (NPAs), the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on May 11, 2018 ordered the Dena Bank Ltd to not to issue any fresh loans and hire any new personnel. The move restricts the bank from giving fresh credits; however, it can accept the deposits.
9. (d) Rajyavardhan Rathore
In a significant cabinet reshuffle, the Union Government gave Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore the independent charge as Minister of State in the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, in place of Smriti Irani, current Minister of Information and Broadcasting.
10. (a) REPLACE
The World Health Organization (WHO) launched a comprehensive plan “REPLACE” to eliminate industrially-produced artificial trans fats from the global food supply by 2023.
11. (d) Gina Haspel
The US Senate confirmed Gina Haspel as the first female director of Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) on May 17, 2018, following a difficult nomination process that reopened an emotional debate about brutal interrogation techniques in one of the darkest chapters in the spy agency’s history.
12. (c) 3rd
India emerged as the 3rd largest solar market in the world in 2017 behind China and the US, as per latest report by Mercom Communications. India set a new record with 9.6 GW of solar installations in 2017, which was more than double the 4.3 GW installed in 2016.