17 September to 22 September 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise at ease. The week's updated quizzes cover the topics like merger of three banks, National Sports Awards 2018 and Atal Bimit Vyakti Kalyan Yojna among others.
1. The Government recently proposed merger of Bank of Baroda with which two banks
a) Dena Bank and Vijaya Bank
b) Vijaya Bank and RBL Bank
c) RBL Bank and IDBI Bank
d) IDBI Bank and Dena Bank
2. The National Sports Awards 2018 were announced by the Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports on September 20, 2018. Which sportsperson has been conferred with Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award?
a) Hima Das
b) PV Sindhu
c) Virat Kohli
d) Ajinkya Rahane
3. Which section of Indian Penal Code (IPC) deals with dowry harassment cases?
a) Section 498-A
b) Section 398-A
c) Section 375
d) Section 475
4. Which nation will become the ninth one to launch its National Registry of Sexual Offenders?
d) Sri Lanka
5. The Atal Bimit Vyakti Kalyan Yojna is being rolled out for the benefit of whom?
b) Unemployed Insured Persons
c) Girl Child
6. Which TV series won the award for Outstanding Drama Series at the 70th Primetime Emmy Awards?
a) Game of Thrones
b) The Handmaid's Tale
c) Stranger Things
d) The Crown
7. According to the latest UN report on the ‘Levels and Trends in Child Mortality’, which region has the highest under-five mortality rate in the world?
a) South Asia
b) North Africa
c) Sub-Saharan Africa
d) South-West Asia
8. Which bollywood personalities have been signed as ambassadors of Skill India Campaign?
a) Amitabh Bachchan and Aamir Khan
b) Aamir Khan and Varun Dhawan
c) Varun Dhawan and Anushka Sharma
d) Anushka Sharma and Deepika Padukone
9. Prime Minister Narendra Modi recently launched the construction of Product Pipeline Project with which country to transport diesel?
a) Sri Lanka
10. Who will be the first private tourist to travel to moon on Space X Big Falcon Rocket?
a) Elon Musk
b) Bill Gates
c) Christopher Nolan
d) Yusaku Maezawa
1. (a) Dena Bank and Vijaya Bank
The Union Finance Ministry on September 17, 2018 announced the proposal to merge three public sector lenders - Bank of Baroda, Dena Bank and Vijaya Bank. The combined lending entity will create India’s third largest bank with a total business of more than Rs 14.82 lakh crore.
2. (c) Virat Kohli
The National Sports Awards 2018 were announced by the Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports on September 20, 2018. Cricket captain Virat Kohli and world champion weightlifter Mirabai Chanu will jointly be conferred with Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award 2018, India’s highest sporting honour.
3. (a) Section 498-A
The Supreme Court of India on September 14, 2018 modified its July 2017 order in dowry harassment case for preventing misuse of Section 498A of Indian Penal Code (IPC). The apex court restored the power of the police to arrest the husband and his family members on a complaint of dowry harassment under IPC Section 498A but retained the power of courts to grant anticipatory or regular bail to accused.
4. (b) India
India would soon be launching a National Registry of Sexual Offenders, which will have the profiles of first time offenders as well as repeat offenders. The database would include names, photographs, residential address, DNA samples, fingerprints, Aadhaar and PAN numbers of convicted sexual offenders. With the roll out of the registry, India will become the ninth nation in the world to set up and maintain such a detailed database of sexual offenders.
5. (b) Unemployed Insured Persons
The Employee's State Insurance has approved a scheme named ‘Atal Bimit Vyakti Kalyan Yojna’ for unemployed Insured Persons covered under the Employees’ State Insurance Act, 1948. The decision was taken by the ESI Corporation during its 175th meeting, which was held in New Delhi.
6. (a) Game of Thrones
The 70th Primetime Emmy Awards were announced on September 18, 2018 at the Microsoft Theater, Los Angeles, California, United States. After being ineligible for the 2017 Emmy awards, the popular drama series Game of Thrones was the most nominated programme in this year’s edition with a total of 22 nominations. The show took home the biggest award of the event, the award for Outstanding Drama Series.
7. (c) Sub-Saharan Africa region
The death of children below the age of five continues to steadily reduce in India, declining from nearly 22 per cent in 2012 to 18 per cent in 2017, which is now for the first time below the one million mark, as per a new UN report released on September 17, 2018. According to the report, the Sub-Saharan Africa region has the highest under-five mortality rate in the world.
8. (c) Varun Dhawan and Anushka Sharma
Bollywood actors Varun Dhawan and Anushka Sharma have been signed as ambassadors of Skill India Campaign to promote and endorse the Skill India Mission. The actors will be seen in “Sui Dhaaga – Made in India” movie, which highlights the untapped potential of India’s talented craftsmen and skilled workers at the grassroot level.
9. (c) Bangladesh
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Bangladesh counterpart Sheikh Hasina on September 18, 2018 jointly launched the construction of India-Bangladesh Friendship Product Pipeline Project through video conferencing. The 130-kilometre pipeline will connect Siliguri in West Bengal in India and Parbatipur in Dinajpur district of Bangladesh.
10. (d) Yusaku Maezawa
US private space firm SpaceX on September 17, 2018 signed the world’s first private passenger to fly around the Moon aboard its Big Falcon Rocket (BFR) launch vehicle. Japanese billionaire and founder of online fashion giant Zozo, Yusaku Maezawa will be the first Moon tourist on SpaceX’s Lunar BFR Mission.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week