22 October to 28 October 2018: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise at ease. The week's updated quizzes cover the topics like the removal of CBI Director, 2018 Seoul Peace Prize and Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2016 among others.
1. Name the Director of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) who was removed from his post recently?
a) Alok Verma
b) Rakesh Asthana
c) Devender Kumar
d) Sathish Babu Sana
2. Which among the following cricketers has become the fastest batsman to reach 10000 ODI runs?
a) Ross Taylor
b) Quinton de Kock
c) Virat Kohli
d) Kane Williamson
3. Who became the 14th recipient of the 2018 Seoul Peace Prize?
a) Donald Trump
b) Vladimir Putin
c) Narendra Modi
4. Which Ministry had requested the Union Home Ministry to revise the visa application process for foreign nationals travelling to India by requiring them to declare their criminal records, if any?
a) Ministry of Law and Justice
b) Ministry of External Affairs
c) Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
d) Ministry of Women and Child Development
5. Which bank became the India’s first PSU bank to introduce comprehensive wealth business services for its clients?
6. Who will head the four-member Group of Ministers (GoM) that was constituted recently to strengthen the institutional frameworks dealing with sexual harassment at workplace?
a) Nitin Gadkari
b) Sushma Swaraj
c) Maneka Gandhi
d) Rajnath Singh
7. The Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2016 is about to be tabled in Parliament in its Winter Session for its passage. Which state went through complete shutdown amid protest against the Bill?
8. The ‘Invest India’ initiative of the Union Government won the top Investment Promotion Award of which organisation?
a) United Nations
b) World Trade Organisation
c) Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion
d) World Bank
9. Which Indian woman wrestler won the bronze medal in the 57kg freestyle category at the 2018 World Championships, held in Budapest?
a) Babita Kumar
b) Vinesh Phogat
c) Sakshi Malik
d) Pooja Dhanda
10. Which country has opened the world’s longest sea crossing bridge and tunnel?
d) South Korea
11. The Green Climate Fund has approved how much fund to assist poor countries to tackle climate change?
a) $1.5 billion
b) $2 billion
c) $3 billion
d) $1 billion
12. The famous Shahi litchi recently got the Geographical Indication (GI) tag. It belongs to which state?
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) Alok Verma
In a dramatic midnight action, the Union Government on October 23, 2018 removed CBI Director Alok Verma from his post. Verma was appointed as CBI Director in 2016 for two years and his tenure ends in December 2018.
2. (c) Virat Kohli
Virat Kohli has become the fastest batsman to score 10,000 runs in one-day internationals, reaching the milestone in just 205 innings. With the feat, he surpassed the record held by Sachin Tendulkar, who had achieved the feat in 259 innings.
3. (c) Narendra Modi
The Seoul Peace Prize Committee on October 24, 2018 conferred the 2018 Seoul Peace Prize on Prime Minister Narendra Modi for his contribution to world peace through his economic vision, ‘Modinomics’. With this, PM Modi became the 14th recipient of this coveted award.
4. (d) Ministry of Women and Child Development
Foreigners applying for Indian visa will now have to declare their criminal records as a part of India’s new visa format. The decision to introduce such a provision was taken by the Union Home Ministry following a request from the Women and Child Development Ministry. The move aims to ensure placement of protective mechanisms to prevent travelling child sex offenders (TCSOs) from entering India and perpetrating sexual violence on children here.
5. (a) SBI
The State Bank of India (SBI) became India’s first PSU bank to introduce comprehensive wealth business services for its clients. The wealth hub was inaugurated by SBI Chairman Rajnish Kumar at the Lalbagh branch in Mangalore.
6. (d) Rajnath Singh
The Union Government on October 24, 2018 constituted a four-member Group of Ministers (GoM) to examine and strengthen the existing legal and institutional frameworks for dealing with matters of sexual harassment of women at the workplace. The Group of Ministers will be headed by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh.
7. (d) Assam
The Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2016 has been gaining momentum amid protests against the Bill by Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti (KMSS), Asom Jatiyatabadi Yuba Chatra Parishad (AJYCP) and 44 other organizations in Assam. These organisations called for the 12-hour shutdown in Assam.
8. (a) United Nations
The ‘Invest India’ initiative of the Union Government on October 22, 2018 won the top United Nations Investment Promotion Award in recognition of its efforts to boost investments in the renewable energy sector in India. Apart from India, agencies from Bahrain, Lesotho and South Africa also won the top honours.
9. (d) Pooja Dhanda
Pooja Dhanda joined the elite Indian company of women grapplers after defeating Grace Bullen of Norway 10-7 in the 57kg Freestyle category to clinch the bronze medal at the World Championships in Budapest on October 25, 2018. Before Pooja, only three Indian women grapplers Alka Tomar in 2006, Geeta Phogat and Babita Phogat in 2012 had won a bronze medal each at the World Championships tournament.
10. (a) China
Chinese President Xi Jinping inaugurated China’s latest mega-infrastructure project, the world’s longest sea crossing bridge on October 23, 2018. The 34.2-mile bridge and tunnel that has been almost a decade in the making will for the first time connect the semi-autonomous cities of Hong Kong and Macau to the mainland Chinese city of Zhuhai by road.
11. (d) $1 billion
The UN-backed Green Climate Fund has approved more than $1 billion for 19 new projects to help developing countries tackle climate change. The green fund, considered a key vehicle for climate-related development programs, was originally meant to receive over $10 billion from rich countries by 2018.
12. (c) Bihar
The famous Shahi litchi of North Bihar got the Geographical Indication (GI) tag. It is the 4th product from the state after Jardalu mango, Katarni rice and Magahi paan to have got the GI tag.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.