First Monday of October every year: World Habitat Day
World Habitat day is observed across the world on 7 October 2013. The purpose of this day is creation of the global awareness regarding the State of the towns and cities and the basic human right to adequate shelter. First Monday of October every year is designated as the World Habitat Day by the United Nation.
Theme of World Habitat Day 2013
The theme of the World Habitat Day 2013 is Urban Mobility to encourage people to shift towards more sustainable modes of transportation. In the year 2012, the theme was Changing Cities, Building Opportunities.
About the World Habitat Day
• The World Habitat Day is observed every year on the first Monday of October, as designated by the United Nation.
• The first World Habitat Day was celebrated in the year 1986.
• The primary objective of observing and celebrating this day is to reflect the state of cities as well as towns along with the basic human right to adequate shelter.
• The World Habitat Day celebrations also aim to remind the global community about its collective responsibility for protection of the habitat for future generation.
• On this day, the United Nations Human Settlements Programme gives the Habitat Scroll of Honour awards. These awards have been into existence since the year 1989. The objective of the award is to acknowledge the initiatives of those who make contributions towards the fields associated with the human habitats.