Mahmud Ghaznavi: Why he attacked 17 times on India ?
Mahmud Ghaznavi was the king of Ghazni who ruled from 971 to 1030 AD. He was the son of Subuktgeen. Attracted by India’s wealth, Gahznavi attacked India several times. In fact, Ghaznavi attacked India 17 times. The main objective of his attacks was to plunder the wealth of Ghaznavi.
The invasions of Mahmud Ghazni in 1000 AD: Mahmud of Ghazni for first time attacked modern Afghanistan and Pakistan in 1000 AD. He defeated Hindu ruler Jaya Pala, who committed suicide himself later and was succeeded by his son Anandpala.
- Ghazni invaded Bhatia in 1005 AD.
- Ghazni invaded Multan in 1006 AD. During this time, Ananda Pala attacked him.
- Mahmud of Ghazni attacked and crushed Sukha Pala, ruler of Bhatinda in 1007 AD.
- Ghazni attacked Nagarkot in the Punjab hills in 1011 AD.
- Mahmud attacked the shahi kingdom under Anand Pala and defeated him in the Battle of Waihind, the Hind shahi capital near Peshawar in 1013 AD.
- Mahmud of Ghazni captured Thanesar in 1014 AD.
- Mahmud of Ghazni attacked Kashmir in 1015 AD.
- He attacked Mathura in 1018 AD and defeated a coalition of rulers, including a ruler called Chandra Pala.
- Mahmud conquered Kanauj in 1021 AD by defeating Kanauj King Chandella Gauda.
- Gwalior was invaded and conquered by Mahmud Ghazni attacked Gwalior and conquered in 1023 AD.
- Mahmud Ghazni attacked the Somnath temple in 1025 AD to loot the wealth amassed inside the temple.
- Mahmud Ghaznavi died in 1030 AD due to Malaria during his last invasion.
Why Mahmud Ghaznavi attacked India?
He was attracted to the enormous wealth of India. This made him repeatedly raid India. He also added religious dimension to his invasion of India. He destroyed the temples of Somnath, Kangra, Mathura and Jwalamukhi to earn the nickname of Idol Breaker.
Impact of Ghaznavi’s attacks on India
Although there is no deep political impact of the Ghanavi’a invasions on India, It exposed the shortcomings of the war strategies of the Rajput kings. It also revealed that there was no political unity in India and it invited more attacks in future.