Jagran Josh Logo

Rajasthan: Museums

09-AUG-2013 13:55

    Rajasthan’s Department of Archaeology and Museums, since its inception in the year 1950, has been putting intensive efforts to ascertain, safeguard, defend, display and construe the artistic bequest personified in an assortment of structures of sculptures and architecture.

     

    STATE LEVEL MUSEUM

    Government Central Museum, Albert Hall

    Located in the Ram Niwas Bagh, the Government Central Museum is domiciled in the Albert Hall. It was instigated by Maharaja Sawai Ram Singh-II and was finished by Maharaja Sawai Madho Singh-II. It was intended by Col. Sir Swinton Jacob. Underpinning rock was rested by Prince of Wales in 1876.

     

    The Government Central Museum was recognized in the year 1887. Lt. Col. T.H. Hendley was selected as the first Honorary Secretary. The anthology includes 24930 displayed items out of which the significant items are:

     

    • Egyptian Mummy

    • Persian garden carpet

    • Bronzes from Tibet and Nepal

    • Sculptures of Rajasthan

    • Paintings of Rajasthan

    • Handicrafts of Rajasthan

     

    DIVISION LEVEL MUSEUMS

     

    Government Museum, Jodhpur

    Government Museum, situated in Ummed Bagh, Jodhpur was recognized in the year 1909 and officially released to public on March 17, 1936. The museum is forenamed after Jodhpur’s Maharaja Sardar Singh. The compilation comprises of:

     

    • 397 Stone Sculptures

    • 10 Inscriptions

    • 1951 Miniature Paintings

    • 12 Terracotta

    • 32 Metallic Objects

    • 178 Arms

    • 111703.5 Coins

    • 4107 Miscellaneous Objects

     

    Government Museum, Bikaner

    This Government Central Museum was opened for public view by Lord Linlithgow, who was the then Governor General of India. It was opened on November 5, 1937 as a division of the golden anniversary celebrations. Shortly, a novel building was built for the museum and complete anthology was relocated in it. The compilation comprises of:

     

    • 71 Stone Sculptures

    • 10 Incriptions

    • 192 Miniature Paintings

    • 124 Terracottas

    • 27 Metallic Objects

    • 574 Arms

    • 22241 Coins

    • 1108 Miscellaneous Objects

     

    Government Museum, Ajmer

    The Government Museum, Ajmer is built in the 16 Cent, Akbar's Fort. Recognized by the Central British Administration as Rajputana regional museum, it was officially opened on October 19, 1908 by Major Colvin. It’s compilation includes:

     

    • 652 Stone Sculptures

    • 84 Inscriptions

    • 3986 Coins

    • 18 Metallic Objects

    • 149 Miniature Paintings

    • 75 Arms and Armour

    • 363 Teracottas

    •128 Miscellaneous Objects

     

    Government Museum, Bharatpur

    The Government Museum, Bharatpur was recognized on November 11, 1944 in the Lohagarh Palace. The Government Museum chiefly comprises of:

     

    • 581 Stone Sculptures

    • 10 Inscriptions

    • 120 Terracottas

    • 13 Metallic Objects

    • 670 Coins

    • 1966 Weapons

    • 196 Miniature Paintings

    • 861 Local Art and Craft

     

    DISTRICT LEVEL MUSEUMS

     

    Government Museum, Dungarpur

    Situated at Dungarpur, the Government Museum was initiated with numerous sculptures accumulated by the Department of Archaeology and Museums, Rajasthan, primarily from the Vagad region from the year 1959 onwards. Initially movable sculptures and architectural remains were exhibited in Panchayat Samiti Hall at Dungarpur in the year 1960. The compilation was augmented by sculptures obtained from neighboring locations.

     

    Government Museum, Chittorgarh

    Maharaja Fateh Singh constructed the palace at Chittorgarh in 19th centuary. In the year 1968, the Department of Archaeology & Museums transformed this stunning palace into a museum, with the aim of preserving and highlighting the legacy of this county. The collection includes:

     

    • 632 Sculptures

    • 2061 Coins

    • 125 Paintings

    • 318 Arms and Weapons

    • 2 Inscriptions

    • 55 Terracottas

    • 18 Metallic Objects

    • 70 Art and Craft Objects

     

    Government Museum, Jaisalmer

    The Government Museum was recognized to emphasize the versatile artistic mores of the immense Thar Desert and its legacy, which was opened for public view in the year 1984. The collection includes:

     

    • 72 Stone Sculptures

    • 8 Inscriptions

    • 65 Coins

    • 13 Paintings

    • 179 Handicrafts

     

    Government Museum, Pali

    The Government Museum, Pali was opened for public view in 1991. Displays of the museum comprises of:

     

    • Jewellery and Costume of the Garasia tribe

    • 326 Stone Sculptures

    • 10 Stone Inscriptions

    • Copper Plates

    • 409 Coins of Medieval Period

    • 22 Miniature Paintings

    • 4 Terracottas

    • 3 Metallic Objects

    • 8 Arms

    • 258 Miscellaneous Objects

     

    Government Museum, Sikar

    The Government Museum, Sikar was opened for public view on June 28, 2006. The Government museum was constructed chiefly to house the statuettes collected from the Harsh temple of 10th centuary. The Government Museum, Sikar is situated on a hill. It comprises of:

     

    • 287 Stone Sculptures

    • 2 Inscriptions

    • 17 Metallic Images

    • 51 Weapons

    • 51 Paintings

    • 1256 Coins

    • 205 Miscellaneous Objects

    DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.

    Latest Videos

    Register to get FREE updates

      All Fields Mandatory
    • (Ex:9123456789)
    • Please Select Your Interest
    • Please specify

    • ajax-loader
    • A verifcation code has been sent to
      your mobile number

      Please enter the verification code below

    Newsletter Signup
    Follow us on
    This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK