SSC CHSL preparation books
SSC CHSL is one of the most popular government job exams in India and many aspirants try their luck in this exam. Through SSC CHSL, A candidate is deputed as Lower Division Clerk, Upper Division Clerk, Postal/Sorting assistant and court clerks in various government departments under Group-’C’ category. SSC Prep industry is very big and flourishing one in India as lakhs of new candidates join the preparation bandwagon every year.
In order to start preparing for SSC CHSL exam, you need to have a lucid idea regarding the syllabus, exam pattern and the questions pattern asked in these exams. There are mainly four subjects in SSC-
- General Intelligence & Reasoning
- Quantitative Aptitude
- English Language & Reading Comprehension
- General Awareness
Books for SSC Exams: Subject Wise List
Take Online Quiz
General Intelligence & Reasoning
General Intelligence and Reasoning is one of the most important and time-consuming section in SSC CHSL exam. It takes more time in reading and understanding the question and intended problem. Misunderstanding of problems may lead to deduction o marks and wastage of time there are various types of questions that fall under a particular topic. Therefore, you should have pre-understanding of all type of questions which in turn give birth to the demand of a comprehensive study guide. A few standard books for reasoning is shared below-
- Analytical Reasoning by M K Pandey: This book deals with all the topics that are asked in the General Intelligence section of SSC CHSL exam. You will get a plenty of practice papers and exercises as well if you are following this book. It is a profitable purchase if you are preparing for SSC CHSL. There may be some concepts that need further refinement in this book. However, it is suitable for SSC CHSL exam preparation as it contains all types of questions asked in this exam.
- Test of Reasoning by Edgar Thorpe: This book caters to all the competitive exams and the level of this book is much higher than SSC standard. If you are a reasoning fan and want to practice more for sharpening your brain and increasing your self-esteem then, this book will be beneficial for you but on the other hand, this book is a bit difficult from the SSC CHSL exam preparation perspective.
- A Modern Approach to Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning by RS Aggarwal: This is the most purchased and referred books for SSC CHSL exam preparation. The book is tailor-made for general intelligence section and along with that, you will get a plenty of questions for practice in each chapter. One note of caution regarding this book is that the questions given after each chapter’s end are difficult and out of SSC CHSL exam preparation context. Hence, do not go for the difficult questions.
Food habits during SSC CHSL exam preparation
This section has a wide variety of questions and different level of complexity. This section requires an intensive practice and lucidity in your concepts. It consumes time very much as compare to other sections as it incorporates lengthy calculations and delayed understanding of questions. Hence, it is advisable not to attend aptitude questions at the beginning. Go to other section accordingly. We have figured out some standard books for this section. Let us have a look-
- Quantum CAT by Sarvesh Verma: This book is a complete package for SSC CHSL exam considering the tier II. You need to have a good understanding of concepts in order to score well in SSC CHSL since only mugging up formulae will not do much effective for you. In this aspect, this book is very good but the volume of the book is too much and sometimes, questions are difficult from the SSC Point of view. This book is specifically designed for CAT aspirants. However, ignore that and go ahead with this book if you want to secure your job as LDC/UDC, Court clerks or Postal/Sorting Assistant in various government offices.
- Advance Maths by Rakesh Yadav: the writer of this book is very famous among SSC aspirants as this book has presented an effective way to prepare for SSC exams and it covers all concepts of aptitude questions. You may pick this book only if you are not starting from the scratch. This book is mainly for SSC CHSL Tier II Level of maths and you must have your basics clear before you start with this book. It is better to start preparing for both tiers initially. So that, you will not have to prepare for Tier-2 later. However, it is a good buy for candidates; once you are done with the basic knowledge of the subject.
- Magical Book on Quicker Maths by M Tyra: This is another gem for SSC aspirants since this book is primarily designed for shortcut methods that are very popular among candidates. However, you need to be aware of it because shortcut methods can be applicable if you have in-depth knowledge of a concept.
100 Days plan to crack SSC CHSL exam
English language & Reading Comprehension
English Language section carries the same weight as other sections do. However, the weakness of this section is that most of the questions are dubious in nature and scoring becomes difficult because you are never sure about your answer. This section is very scoring and less time-consuming because you have to just read and answer for the inquired questions. For candidates who are good in English, this section can save your time. We have suggested some most appropriate books for this section-
- Objective English by SP Bakshi: This book is good for candidates, who are mainly concerned about the vocabulary, Idioms and phrases, etc. However, from the grammar perspective, you should not rely much on this book and especially from the point of view of Tier-II in SSC CHSL exam. It is advisable to use this book as a supporting book during SSC CHSL preparation.
- Plinth to Paramount by KD Campus: In this book, Clarifications of various grammar rules and their applications in actual context are described properly. This book is very necessary for SSC CHSL Tier-II exam. You need to practice this as much as possible to grab a position in the merit list.
- Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis: Another must have for you since you have to be good at English vocabulary. Just have this book with you not for passing the examination but also for future use.
Importance of previous year papers to qualify SSC CHSL exam
General Awareness is considered as the most-easiest section among others. Most of the inquired questions hail from the general knowledge. Hence, you do not need to read the daily newspapers or current affairs so much. This section requires the minimum amount of time to answer and you can prepare it for the nominal efforts. The following book can be the best for preparing for it.
- Lucent’s General Knowledge: There is no substitute for this book and there can never be. Just read this book and revise it periodically and you can score higher marks in the exam undoubtedly. You need to revise it over and again.
In any competitive exam, the most important thing is to have the right preparation material with you. Beyond that, another important thing is that you should follow a limited number of books and revise them repeatedly instead of referring numerous books. So, choose wisely among the discussed ones and prepare accordingly. Remember three Ps.
Patience, Practice, and Perseverance
All the best!