Current Affairs for IAS Prelims Exam 2018: 10 July 2017
Current affairs in IAS prelims forms one of the main sections of the exam as it influences most of the questions asked in the IAS exam. Here, we provide Current Affair quiz based on the latest important socio-economic happenings of July 2017 for IAS Prelims 2018.
During IAS prelims examination preparation, current affairs reading become an indispensable activity. Current affairs are as important as any other academic subject so it should be read as a separate section while preparing for the IAS exam. In this process, practising MCQ questions based on current affairs should be given priority.
Here, we have provided some important model questions on the latest political and social happenings that affect the structure of the nation. We will continue to provide the current affairs questions for IAS Prelims 2018 to help you gain a better insight of how questions can be asked in the examination.
1. The government recently launched Swayam Prabha portal to take education to the remotest corners of the country. Which of the following statements is true regarding the Swayam Portal?
a. The platform has been constructed by Microsoft with totally indigenous efforts.
b. The SWAYAM Prabha channels are available for free for anyone who has a set top box to receive either DD Free Dish or DishTV.
c. The UGC has already issued Regulation that allows transfer of credits earned through the courses done through SWAYAM into the academic record of the students.
d. All of the above
Swayam Portal is India’s own online interactive learning platform that provides, not only video lectures, reading the material but also assignments/quizzes that could end up in securing credits after completing the assessment system. The platform has been constructed by Microsoft with totally indigenous efforts.
The SWAYAM Prabha channels are available for free for anyone who has a set top box to receive either DD Free Dish or DishTV. There is no monthly charge for viewing these channels. These channels include the IIT-PAL channels which were intended to help students taking the prestigious JEE examination, taught by the IIT faculty.
The UGC has already issued Regulation that allows transfer of credits earned through the courses done through SWAYAM into the academic record of the students. It is now possible for the students and others to take courses of the prestigious IITs or IIMs without formally studying there.
2. India has ranked a high at 23rd out of 165 nations in the Global Cybersecurity Index. Consider the following statements regarding the Global Cybersecurity Index.
1) The Global Cybersecurity Index (GCI) released by WTO.
2) Each country’s level of development is analysed within five categories: Legal Measures, Technical Measures, Organizational Measures, Capacity Building and Cooperation.
Which of the above statements is true?
a. Only 1
b. Both 1 and 2
c. Only 2
d. None of the above
The Global Cybersecurity Index (GCI) is a multi-stakeholder initiative to measure the commitment of countries to cyber security. Cyber security has a wide field of application that cuts across many industries and sectors. Each country’s level of development is analysed within five categories: Legal Measures, Technical Measures, Organizational Measures, Capacity Building and Cooperation.
The Global Cybersecurity Index (GCI) is released by the UN telecommunications agency International Telecommunication Union (ITU). It has observed that only about half of all countries have a cyber security strategy or are in the process of developing one and urged more countries to consider national policies to protect against cyber crime.
India is ranked 23rd on the index with a score of 0.683 and has been listed in the "maturing" category, which refers to 77 countries that have developed complex commitments to cyber security and engage in cybersecurity programmes and initiatives.
3. For what innovation did the Indian Railways Organization for Alternate Fuel (IROAF) has been awarded the Golden Peacock Award for Eco-Innovation?
a. Solar Energy based fuel 1400 HP engine
b. CNG based dual fuel 1400 HP engine
c. Magnetic force HP engine
d. All of the above
Indian Railways achieves a major landmark in the field of Eco-friendly fuel technologies at Indian Railways Organization for Alternate Fuel (IROAF) which has been awarded the coveted National level “Golden Peacock Award for the Year 2017 for Eco-Innovation” for:
• Substitution of fossil fuels (Diesel) by environment-friendly CNG in DEMU passenger train services.
• Use of CNG in Train Sets for passenger transportation has been done for the first time in the world.
• The CNG based dual fuel 1400 HP engine used in DEMU trains developed by IROAF has successfully substituted diesel fuel with CNG up to 20%.
This innovation will reduce emissions considerably by bringing down NOx by 16%, CO2 by 6% and Particulate Matter by 18% besides achieving economy in fuel cost by 8%. So far, 19 Engines of DEMUs have been successfully converted into CNG based dual fuel engines with this technology.
Golden Peacock Awards have become a hallmark of excellence, both locally & globally. Based on internationally recognised criteria, the credibility of these awards lies in the transparency depth & impartiality of the assessment process.
Present technology of 20% substitution of diesel by CNG, has potential to save up to Rs. 1360 crores annually if implemented over the entire fleet of Diesel Locomotives of Indian Railways. An improved technology of 40% substitution is at present being developed by IROAF.
IROAF is a unique organisation in the Government space which was established by Ministry of Railways to explore new environment-friendly fuels/ renewable energy and eco- friendly technologies.
4. Consider the following statements regarding the recently launched First Maize Based Mega Food Park:
1) Maize Based Mega Food Park is the first major and serious step in the history of India for containing the desertification problem of Punjab.
2) Maize is rich in protein, provides nutritional requirements and consumes more water.
3) The Mega Food Park is being developed at District Kapurthala which has been declared as a Dark Zone district where slow desertification is happening because of overexploitation of water due to cash crops.
Which of the following statement(s) is/are correct?
a. 1 and 3
b. 1 and 2
c. 2 and 3
d. 1, 2 and 3
Maize Based Mega Food Park is the first major and serious step in the history of India for containing the desertification problem of Punjab and would make farmers turn to maize cultivation which needs less water for more production. Maize is being used by different industries for seed, starch, brewery, food additives, sweeteners etc and it is also a basic raw material to thousands of industrial products like oil, proteins, pharmaceutical, cosmetics, beverages, film, textile, gum, value added foods, paper industries, bio-ethanol etc.
The Mega Food Park is being developed at village Rehana Jattan, Phagwara, District Kapurthala, Punjab which has been declared as a Dark Zone district where slow desertification is happening because of overexploitation of water due to cash crops.
The Mega Food Park will leverage an additional investment of about Rs.250 crores in 25-30 food processing units in the park and generate a turnover of Rs.450-500 crores annually. The Park will provide direct and indirect employment to 5,000 persons and benefit about 25,000 farmers.
5. Recently, a scheme for IPR awareness,” Creative India Innovative India” has been launched. Consider the following statements regarding the Creative India Innovative India scheme:
1) The Scheme aims at raising IPR awareness amongst students, youth, authors, artists, budding inventors and professionals to inspire them to create, innovate and protect their creations and inventions across India.
2) The Scheme for IPR Awareness aims to conduct over 4000 IPR awareness workshops/seminars in academic institutions (schools and colleges) and the industry, including MSMEs and Startups.
3) The Scheme for IPR Awareness would be implemented through partner organisations to promote innovation and entrepreneurship.
Which of the statements is true?
a. 1 and 3
b. 1 and 2
c. 2 and 3
d. 1, 2 and 3
Taking forward the National Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Policy 2016, a ‘Scheme for IPR Awareness – Creative India; Innovative India’ has been launched by Cell for IPR Promotion and Management (CIPAM) under the aegis of the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion.
The Scheme aims at raising IPR awareness amongst students, youth, authors, artists, budding inventors and professionals to inspire them to create, innovate and protect their creations and inventions across India including Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3 cities as well as rural areas in the next 3 years.
The Scheme for IPR Awareness aims to conduct over 4000 IPR awareness workshops in academic institutions and the industry, including MSMEs and Start-ups, as also IP training and sensitization programmes for enforcement agencies and the judiciary.
Workshops will cover all vital IP topics including international filing procedures, promotion of Geographical Indications and highlighting the ill effects of piracy and counterfeiting. The Scheme for IPR Awareness would be implemented through partner organisations to promote innovation and entrepreneurship.