- Union Textiles Ministry on 25 August 2014 signed MoU with Flipkart to provide online marketing platform to handloom weavers. The MoU was signed in New Delhi to boost the sector and empower the weavers and boost manufacturing in the country. Flipkart is a leading online market service provider.
- The Supreme Court of India in its verdict on 25 August 2014 said that coal block allocated by the screening committee from 1993 to 2010, before pre-auction era, was illegal. It said that the allocations were not fare and transparent and it also suffered from vice of arbitrariness.
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) on 25 August 2014 imposed a combined penalty of more than 2500 crore rupees on 14 car companies.
- Goods and Services Tax (GST) Panel on 20 August 2014 decided to lower the threshold limit for imposing GST on entities to 10 lakhs rupees from the proposed 25 lakhs rupees
- Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 25 August 2014 cleared the name of senior IPS officer Ramesh Chand Tayal for being appointed as Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) Special Director-General (DG).
- Union Government on 25 August 2014 cleared the name of RN Ravi for appointment as Chief of the Joint Intelligence Committee (JIC). His name was cleared by Prime Minister Narendra Modi led Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC).
- Former Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) Vinod Rai authored a book titled Not Just an Accountant. The book will be released in October 2014.
- Border Security Force (BSF) personnel set a LIMCA Book of Record by planting saplings at all BSF locations on 19 August 2014 in a special tree plantation drive. This drive was carried out under Green Mission.
- The President of India, Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated India's first Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology (IIEST) at Shibpur, Howrah in West Bengal on 24 August 2014.
- India’s first indigenously-built stealth Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) INS Kamorta was commissioned in Indian Navy by Union Defence Minister Arun Jaitley on 23 August 2014. It was commissioned at naval dockyard in Vishakhapatnam.
- Guru Hanuman Akhara, a Delhi-based wrestling academy was chosen for the 2014 Rashtritya Khel Protsahan Puraskar (RKPP) on 21 August 2014. The Akhara was chosen in the category of establishment and management of sports academies of excellence.
- Muzaffar Ali, renowned filmmaker and poet, was presented the 22nd Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana award on 20 August 2014 at Jawahar Bhawan in New Delhi. The award was presented by former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Sonia Gandhi, the president of All-India Congress Committee (AICC).
- The multinational IT consultant Accenture on 25 August 2014 obtained the contract to build an IT platform for crowdfunding Statue of Unity, Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s dream project. The motive behind this move of Gujarat state government is to raise funds for the project through internet.
- Google will be building Knowledge Vault to store world’s information. It is the largest information storage in human history. It is readable by both human and Machine and is a knowledge base that autonomously gathers and merges data from across the web to provide unprecedented access to all facts about the world.
- T M Bhasin was elected as Chairman of Indian Banks Association (IBA) on 20 August 2014. He will be the Chairman of IBA for 2014-15.T M Bhasin is the chairman and managing director of Indian Bank.
- Maharishi Walmeck Sawami Jee Temple popularly known as Balaknash Temple of Rawalpindi, Pakistan faces demolition. The reason behind its demolition is to make way for the barracks for soldiers. This move outraged the Hindu minority community in Pakistan.
- Thailand's king Bhumibol Adulyade on 25 August 2014 formally endorsed its military coup leader General Prayuth Chan-ocha as the Prime Minister of Thailand. General Prayuth was elected as Prime Minister military-dominated National Legislative Assembly.
- Turkey's ruling party named Finance Minister Ahmet Davutoglu as New Prime Minister of Turkey on 10 August 2014. He will replace Recep Tayyip Erdogan. He will resume office from 28 August 2014.
- Oscar-winning British filmmaker and actor Richard Attenborough died on 24 August 2014 in London. He was in poor health for some time. He was 90.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 25 August 2014 announced to launch Energy Highway for Eastern India. The pipeline project will connect Eastern India with the national gas grid.
- Supreme Court of India on 21 August 2014 issued notice to Union Government to respond it on the issue of asking Governors to quit or face dismissal. The apex court has given six weeks time to the Government to respond on the issue.
- The Supreme Court of India on 22 August 2014 asked the Union Government to decide the status of the Leader of Opposition (LoP) in the Lok Sabha. It asked the government to respond on the issue by 9 September 2014.
- Pradhan Mantri Krishi Seenchayi Yojana was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 19 August 2014. The Yojna has been announced to meet the irrigation needs of all farmers across the country. Sum of 1000 crore rupees has been allocated for implementation of the scheme.
- The Supreme Court fined 14 state governments and 1 Union Territory (UT) on 20 August 2014 for not responding to Law Commission's 245th Report on Arrears and Backlogs in Judiciary. The fine of 25000 rupees was imposed on each state government and Union Territory.
- Katie Ledecky, an American distance swimmer on 23 August 2014 created a World Record in Women’s 1500 Meter Freestyle at the 2014 Pan Pac Championships on the Gold Coast, Australia. To create the new record Ledecky swam the distance in 15 minutes 28.36 seconds.
- The President of India Pranab Mukherjee on 24 August 2014 inaugurated the 6th Edition of Kamada Kinkar Mukherjee Rural Football Tournament at Raghunathganj in Murshidabad district, West Bengal.
- Weightlifter Ragala Venkat Rahul on 22 August 2014 bagged Silver medal in the 77 kg category by lifting 141 kg in Snatch and 175 kg in Clean and Jerk to finish with a total of 316 kg. With this, Rahul won India's first medal of the second Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing, China.
- Hockey India on 21 August 2014 added Hockey Madhya Pradesh as its 23rd associate member. With this, Hockey Madhya Pradesh (HMP) came under the wings of Hockey India.
- Max Verstappen of Netherlands will become the youngest Formula One (F1) driver in the F1 history when he will compete for the 2015 season. For the 2015 season he will make the F1 debut with Scuderia Toro Rosso.
- The All India Football Federation (AIFF) announced on 18 August 2014 that Jammu and Kashmir will host Football Federation Cup in August 2015.
“Jagran Josh also helps to get information about Top MBA Institutes based upon your choice of Location and Specialization.Click here to get details & the Best Seller “MBA Pedia” eBook, absolutely FREE.