It is very important to know how to become substitute teacher so that everything is rightly followed step by step for a bright career in this field. A substitute teacher who is popularly known as “Sub” is a professional who handles and teaches a class when the regular teacher is on leave or absent from the work due to various reasons like illness, maternity, personal issues etc.
The procedure of how to become substitute teacher keeps changing on timely basis so; updating knowledge about this field is a must. They do go through the complete process, starting from filing application to qualifying in an interview. Some schools prefer written test too while some prefer direct face to face interview round.
Who can make a career as a substitute teacher?
A substitute teacher is required to take up from the point where regular teacher has left the course and make sure that all the points and explanations are thoroughly given to the students. She has to make sure that over all development and performance of children is progressive each day.
If you are seeking a career in this line then, you have to very patient. You have to keep checking updates about the syllabus progress and assignment terms that has been given to you. The factors like determination, hard work, concentration, innovation, good communication and liveliness are important to perform in a teaching job. You must be smart enough to handle all the queries and motivate kids in such a way that they grasp good and perform well during exams.
If you think that you can handle children very swiftly then, you are set to pursue this career.
How much experience is required to find jobs for a career as substitute teacher?
There is no minimum or maximum defined teaching experience to become a substitute teacher however; you must be well versed in your teaching skills and basics of your subjects. Government schools and some private ones prefer written test as well before you go through the interview process and at last, class screening where you are supposed to take one class; feedback is collected from the students and then final decision is made. Schools which are looking for permanent substitute teachers go through such a tedious qualifying process.
It is advisable to involve yourself in teaching projects and extra curriculum right from the time you are pursuing your course so that such things are added to your resume for extra benefits.
What are you supposed to do in a substitute teacher job role?
There are certain important things which are required to be done by a successful substitute teacher. Some major are mentioned here as:
• You are supposed to be very patient and determined so that you can take up everything from the middle and make it work like a regular teacher.
• Understanding children’s psychology and emotional side is a must because you will be responsible for their development and progress.
• Supervision quality needs to be very strong so that class handling is easy and to prevent misbehavior activities and failures.
• Meeting and stand ups with regular teacher or supervisor or with the school principal on daily or weekly basis is a must so that planning of curriculum is carried out efficiently.
• You have to write lesson plans for the students about what is going to be taught in future classes to keep up the syllabus.
• Marking attendance, giving assignments, taking tests and checking homework are some of the other set of activities that is to be carried out on daily basis.
• Scheduling, and providing career counseling sessions to students is an important task that contributes to the success of students.
• Such teachers must be very well organized and creative so that they can maintain discipline in the classroom and can make lessons/ learning process very interesting.
• Verbal and written skills must be excellent as this forms the basis of a clear communication process.
• Meeting parents, listening to their queries about their children, suggesting ways/solutions. Counseling them is also under the things to do set of a substitute teacher. A substitute teacher needs to be an all rounder.
What are the courses required to find jobs as a substitute teacher?
A career in this field needs a good polish with fine courses and eligibility. It must be taken seriously like a regular job and its contractual side must be ignored. The minimum eligibility to become a substitute teacher is holding a bachelor’s degree with at least 50% marks. You can pursue your higher degree as well along with any teaching course.
B.Ed (Bachelor of Education) degree is one year regular course that will introduce you to the teaching side thoroughly. It is advisable to do this course after you are done with your graduation. This course can be done from any university/college/institute; all you have to do is learn all the aspects and techniques well.
After this, if you want to do higher studies in teaching then, you can go for post graduation like M. Ed course.
There are certain diploma courses as well which are approved by the state government; treated equivalent to regular ones which also prepares you for the future jobs. If you do not want to do a regular course then, this option is very suitable for you where you are supposed to take classes on weekends and prepare yourself.
What is the expected salary for a substitute teacher in India?
The salary of a substitute teacher starts from Rs.500 per day at CBSE based government schools like Kendriya Vidyalaya. Private schools offer quite good salary to such teachers which can vary from 2000 per day to whatever higher school can pay/ whatever has been negotiated but this also remains low as compared to the pay scale of a regular teacher.
After becoming a substitute teacher, promotion can be from a contractual to a permanent one where compensation is paid like a regular teacher.
Know How to Become an Anganwadi Worker: Eligibility Criteria, Selection Process & More
Paralegal Volunteer: Job Profile, Eligibility Criteria, Selection Process and Job Prospects
Jobs for 10th pass Candidates in Indian Railways: Check Eligibility, Experience, Selection Process
RAS Main Exam 2018: Maths excluded from Main Examination