SSC takes written examination for various posts in government offices and departments every year. These examinations consist of the papers, namely:-
- English language & comprehension
- Reasoning ability
- Quantitative aptitude
- General knowledge
The English Language section can turn out to be really scoring if prepared with consent & in timely manner. Before attempting this paper, you should adhere the following things in your attention.
- Answers should be framed in the limited time.
- Preparing for the paper also becomes easier if done in a systematic manner.
- The papers like quantitative aptitude and logical reasoning takes quite a lot of time of the candidates and thus English Language paper can actually manage the time, if prepared well.
The first month can be very elusive and one might find it quite difficult where to start with. Before going to study, you must adhere to the exam pattern and syllabus for the various SSC exams. In this regard, previous year papers and mock drills are available in various preparation guidebooks and websites dedicated to examination preparation. Out of these available resources, you have to figure out and exercise the following things: -
- Difficulty level of questions
- Topic wise distribution of questions
- Remembering the important questions with their answers because SSC used repeat the questions in their upcoming exams
After above steps, candidates should make a list of the probable items, which needs to follow in the next couple of months and start preparing for the same.
In the second month, after covering major things in first month, you should prepare and focus on the following topics to build confidence. The topics listed below, are very essential for having deep understanding of English grammar and language. Let us check it out: -
- Vocabulary: - The vocabulary could be developed by undergoing regular reading from various sources such as newspapers, magazines, blogs, internet, journals, and others for finding and listing new words with their meanings side by side.
- Work on your grammar skills: - This can enhance the knowledge about sentence formation immensely.
- Try to improve your reading comprehension throughout the month: - Reading regularly also helps the candidates to find answers among the passages easily, which in turn helps them in answering the reading comprehension part in the examination. The key to success in this paper is to get back to basics and re-read the grammar as we used to do at secondary and higher secondary level.
The third month of the preparation in the language should be devoted to revision of items that have been learnt so far by the candidates. Besides this, consider the following points as well.
a. The candidates should ponder a list of words and their meaning that has been made by the candidates upon every day. They should also develop a habit of regular writing which can in turn help them formulate their sentence formation skills and understand the order of writing well.
b. There are test series available in the market that offers questions of higher difficulty level. You can go for practice mock or Olive board test series because they offer standard questions with explanations too.
c. Are you aware that SSC repeats questions invariably from previous year papers. Sometimes, the answers given by SSC are of its own league. So, keep in mind the answers as well of confusing questions. This will help you choose the right answer in the actual exam.
Apart from the above strategy, it is also required to develop confidence about the language and make sure that you answer properly at the examination without any fear of the language.