Social Development and Demographics have created a niche in the IAS Prelims Syllabus because without knowing our Society, its development pace and components, the candidates cannot determine the course of action best suited for the overall development. With the Economic Development in the IAS General Studies Paper I, it makes a blend that provides all the information about the society and the initiatives taken by the government for its development.
What to study and How to prepare
Government schemes and new initiatives taken for the improvement in the social conditions of the society as a whole makes the point of focus and study for the candidates as they are commonly asked in the examination.
• Government websites are the best study material related to this Section of the Syllabus
• Secondly the newspaper plays a very important part in preparing this section
• As we all know this year is an election year so all the governments, state or union, are publishing their schemes and the achievements done by them. This list is very useful for the IAS as well as for the state PCS exams
• Budget Announcements and the provisions for the schemes must be marked by the candidates for the preparation of notes
• Economic Survey is another document which immensely help in ascertaining the results of the social schemes on the society as a whole because various reports are published in Economic Surveys reflecting the results of the ongoing schemes.
• India Year book is also very helpful but the candidates should make notes from it because otherwise it becomes very cumbersome
• The government Magazines such as Yojana is one of the most important publications of the government related to the government schemes and their implementation
Some Previous year questions:
Question of 2013
Q. To obtain full benefits of demographic dividend, what should India do?
(a) Promoting skill development
(b) Introducing more social security schemes
(c) Reducing infant mortality rate
(d) Privatization of higher education
Question of 2012
Q.With reference to National Rural Health Mission, which of the following are the jobs of ‘ASHA’, a trained community health worker?
1. Accompanying women to the health facility for antenatal care checkup
2. Using pregnancy test kits for early detection of pregnancy
3. Providing information on nutrition and immunization
4. Conducting the delivery of baby
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
(a) 1, 2 and 3 only
(b) 2 and 4 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
Question of 2011
Q. With reference to "Aam Admi Bima Yojana", consider the following statements:
1. The member insured under the scheme must be the head of the family or an. earning member of the family in a rural landless house- hold.
2. The Member insured must be in the age group of 30 to 65 years.
3. There is a provision for free scholarship for up to two children of the insured who are studying between classes 9 and 12.
Which of the statements given above is/ are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.