Science fair is an opportunity for students to apply the scientific method to conduct independent research. The mere purpose of science fairs is to instil scientific attitude in the young generation to make them realize the interdependence of science, technology and society. Science fair provides a platform for the students and teachers where they can learn from each other’s experiences and get motivated to design and develop something new and innovative. It allows the students from various elementary, middle and high schools to compete with one another in science and technology activities. They present their science projects in the form of a report and models.
Science fairs are conducted at various levels, starting from local science fairs (held and sponsored by the local public and private primary and secondary schools) to regional level science fairs and in the last the winners of first two levels are advanced to the state level science fair.
The main purpose of the science fairs is to encourage the students to take a more active interest in the study of science and conduct and present their independent scientific inquiries and innovations publicly.
The various more objectives of conducting science fairs may briefly be put as follows:
- To explore and encourage scientific and technological talent among the young generation.
- To promote creative thinking and manipulative skills among children through self devised science projects or models.
- To provide exploratory experiences and opportunities to the talented or creative students for the nourishment and nurturing of their creative talents.
- To provide a means of media to the science students for trying out theory into practice.
- To bring out the future scientists into lime light who may then be trained as proficient inventors for the growth of the society, nation and mankind.
- To create awareness among the public regarding the role of science and technology in the sustainable growth and development of the country.
To get different queries and answer about CBSE exams, Click Here