Biomedical Engineering is the branch of engineering which incorporates the engineering and the life sciences for the better health of the persons. This branch of engineering uses the principles of applied sciences (including mechanical, electrical, chemical and computer engineering) and physical sciences (including physics, chemistry and mathematics) and apply them to biology and medicine. This branch of engineering is used for developing the biological structures and diagnostic and therapeutic tools. The main focus areas of the Biomedical Engineering are:
- Design of artificial internal organs, artificial devices that replace body parts
- Designing and production of machines for diagnosing medical problems
- Provide technical support for biomedical equipment
- Research the engineering aspects of biological systems of humans and animals
- Genetic Engineering
- Clinical Engineering
- Medical imaging
To pursue an undergraduate course in biomedical engineering, the candidate must pass 10+2 with physics, chemistry and mathematics/biology from a recognized state/central Board.
- Bachelor of Engineering in Biomedical Engineering (B.E.)
- Bachelor of Technology in Biomedical Engineering (B.Tech.)
To pursue a postgraduate course in biomedical engineering, the candidate must have Bachelor’s (B.E. or B.Tech.) degree in biomedical engineering from recognized University.
Master of Engineering in Biomedical Engineering (M.E.)
Master of Technology in Biomedical Engineering (M.Tech.)
Biomedical engineering is among the rapidly growing careers and the trend is expected to continue over the next decade. Biomedical engineers are employed for the risk analysis, routine calibration, preventive maintenance, development and research of devices, technologies etc. Biomedical engineers have a huge scope in the research field. One can opt for the post graduate specialization in Biomedical Engineering. The post graduation can be done abroad as well as from highly reputed indian institutions like IITs and NITs. Following are the top industries which hire Biomedical Engineers.
- Scientific research and development services
- Medical equipment and supplies manufacturing
- Pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing
- General medical and surgical hospitals
- Colleges, universities, and professional schools
Companies like GE, SIEMENS, BAYER, RELIANCE LIFE SCIENCES, BHARAT -SERUM, BIOCON hire the biomedical engineers. Initial salary package for the Biomedical Engineers starts from INR 15,000 to INR 25,000.
- Indian Institute of Technology - Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi (IIT-D)
- Indian Institute of Technology, Ropar
- Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology
- National Institute of Technology, Raipur
- National Institute of Technology, Rourkela
- Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University
- PSG College of Technology
- Punjab Technical University (PTU), Jalandhar
- S.R.M Institute of Science and Technology
- VIT University (VIT), Vellore