SSC CGL and SBI Clerical recruitments are the two most prominent recruitment exercises carried out in the public sector in India. Both the job advertisements evoke huge response from the job seekers and that is why, it is important to understand the pros and cons of both the jobs before having a shot at either or both of them.
SSC CGL and SBI Clerical: The Similarities
SBI clerical and SSC CGL posts have a lot of common things to offer once you are selected. Obviously, the pay scales vary according to the posts in SSC CGL as well as postings, but still, you will find a lot of things similar to each other.
• Same Pay Package for some posts: For the group C posts in SSC CGL with grade pay Rs 2400, the gross emoluments come to almost the same with SBI Clerical job. But, after the 7th pay commission comes into effect, even a group D employee of the central government is expected to earn more than a SBI Clerk
• Fixed Working Hours: For the clerical staff in the bank, the working hours are generally fixed and nobody will ask you to stay after those hours and same goes for almost all the posts of SSC CGL since all these posts are middle rank jobs
• Less or almost zero accountability: SSC CGL posts have almost zero accountability and the same goes for SBI Clerical as well. You are not going to be asked for any fault or issue in your department since you have your seniors to shield you from that
• Desk based job: Except some posts such as income tax inspector, customs and excise inspector etc all the other SSC CGL posts are basically desk based job and SBI Clerical is obviously a desk based job for all the time.
SSC CGL and SBI Clerical: The Differences
Though there are a lot of similarities, there are a lot of differences as well in the job portfolios of SSC CGL and SBI Clerical cadre. Let us find out the ways in which both are different
• Pay Package: Pay package is much higher in Group B posts of SSC CGL with Rs 4600 or 4200 grade pay attached to them. For Group C posts with grade pay Rs 2400, the salary seems the same as of now but after the 7th pay commission recommendations are implemented, the pay package for these posts will also increase
• Promotional Avenues: Promotional aspects are much better in SBI Clerical compared to SSC CGL as for SSC CGL, your seniority details are only taken into account, whereas in bank, you are given the option of fast track promotion based on your merit and performance
• Job Profile: For SBI Clerks, the job is basically entry or receipt and payment vouchers and therefore, it is always financial but for SSC CGL posts, there are various kinds of job profiles on offer. Hence, SSC CGL provides more variety than SBI Clerical
• Job Nature: Being at SBI means that you are employed in the public sector, whereas landing a job through SSC CGL means that you are a servant of the Government employee
• Posting: In terms of job postings, SSC CGL is much better than SBI Clerical because as per the demands of the bank, SBI will send you to any branch be it in rural areas or urban area whereas for SSC CGL, most of the postings are in metro cities or in New Delhi.
Both SBI Clerical and SSC CGL are opportunities for which people try their hearts out. The job profiles are different as well as the promotional aspects. It depends on the candidate what does he or she wants in life. If somebody is ambitious enough, SBI Clerical is the job for him, but if somebody wants to maintain a healthy family life with all the amenities of life present, SSC CGL is his pick.
All the best!!