Adi Godrej, the Chairman of Mumbai-based Godrej Group, on 19 September 2016 was conferred the 10th Annual Clinton Global Citizen Award for leadership in business and philanthropy.
The award recognises Godrej's leadership in transforming the intersection of business and philanthropy and making the Godrej Group a global example of what can be achieved through inclusive, sustainable business strategies.
The award was presented by Hikmet Ersek, CEO and President of Western Union, in the presence of former US President Bill Clinton.
Some of the other awardees for the year 2016 include Jon Bon Jovi for the Jon Bon Jovi Soul Foundation in the US, President Juan Manuel Santos of Colombia and Hawa Abdi of Somalia.
About Adi Godrej
• Adi Burjorji Godrej is an Indian industrialist and businessman.
• He is the Chairman of the Godrej Group.
• As of 2015, he is the 405th richest person in the world with a net worth of 4.0 billion US dollars.
• He received his undergraduate degree from HL college and his MBA from the MIT Sloan School of Management, where he was a member of the Pi Lambda Phi fraternity and a member of Tau Beta Pi.
About Clinton Global Citizen Awards
• The Clinton Global Citizen Awards was established in 2007.
• It embodies the former US President's call to action by honouring outstanding individuals who exemplify global citizenship through their vision and leadership.
• Past recipients of the award include Mexican businessman and philanthropist Carlos Slim, Irish billionaire Denis O'Brien, Moroccan entrepreneur Mohammad Abbad Andaloussi, Afghan women's rights activist Suraya Pakzad, Pakistani labour rights activist Syeda Ghulam Fatima among others.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App