Ajay Bhushan Pandey appointed as CEO of UIDAI
UIDAI was founded in 2009 under the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) regime with former Infosys CEO Nandan Nilekani as its chairman. It is the organisation behind the Aadhaar.
The Union Government on 21 July 2016 appointed Ajay Bhushan Pandey as the Chief Executive Officer of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet approved the promotion of Pandey with effect from 12 July 2016.
Under Pandey’s tenure, UIDAI will have to deal with the legal cases involving privacy and parliamentary issues that Aadhaar has been embroiled in.
Who is Ajay Bhushan Pandey?
• Pandey is a 1984 batch Indian Administrative Service officer of Maharashtra cadre.
• He has been serving as Director General of the UIDAI since August 2015.
• He holds a doctorate in Computer Science from University of Minnesota Minneapolis of US.
• UIDAI was founded in 2009 under the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) regime with former Infosys CEO Nandan Nilekani as its chairman. Nilekani resigned in 2014.
• It is the organisation behind the Aadhaar, which is a 12 digit unique number, linked with an individual’s demographic and biometric information.
• As of 15 July 2016, about 102 crore Aadhaar IDs have been generated.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App