Alexander Zverev defeats Stan Wawrinka to win St Petersburg Open Men’s Singles title
With this, Alexander Zverev becomes the first man to beat Stan Wawrinka in a tour final since 2013. The loss also ends a 10-match unbeaten run for Wawrinka.
German tennis player Alexander Zverev on 25 September 2016 defeated Stan Wawrinka to win his first tour title in the St. Petersburg Open final.
Zverev defeated Wawrinka by 6-2, 3-6, 7-5 to win the title.
With this, Zverev becomes the first man to beat Wawrinka in a tour final since 2013. The loss also ends a 10-match unbeaten run for Wawrinka.
About St. Petersburg Open
• The St. Petersburg Open is a professional men's tennis tournament played on indoor hard courts.
• It is a part of the ATP World Tour 250 series of the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) World Tour.
• The tournament has been held annually at the Petersburg Sports and Concert Complex in St. Petersburg, Russia, since 1995.
• 2002 Australian Open champion Thomas Johansson, former World No. 1 Marat Safin and Andy Murray are the only players to have won the singles titles more than once.
• Milos Raonic was the winner of the 2015 St Petersburg Open Men’s Singles title.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App