Super 30 founder and mathematician Anand Kumar on 29 May 2015 was honoured by Legislature of British Columbia in Canada at Toronto University for his pioneering work in the field of education.
The Speaker Linda Reid honoured Kumar with a memento and also appreciated his endeavour at a proposal initiated by Marc Dalton, an MLA. The 42-year-old Kumar was honoured for his rare achievements for the students from India's underprivileged sections.
Kumar was invited by the British Columbia Government in recognition of his work through globally acclaimed Super 30, which has mentors 30 students mostly from the underprivileged sections of the society for IITs free of cost for the last 14 years.
About Anand Kumar
• Anand is a native of Bihar who in 2010 won the Maulana Abdul Kalam Azad Shiksha Puraskar, the highest award given by the Government of Bihar
• Mathematical Spectrum and Mathematical Gazette of the UK has published a number of papers of Anand Kumar. During graduation, Kumar submitted papers on Number Theory, which were published in Mathematical Spectrum and The Mathematical Gazette
• Three times, Kumar has been invited jointly by the Mathematical Association of America and the American Mathematical Society to present his papers
• Super30 established in 2002 by Anand Kumar in Patna, Bihar under the banner of Ramanujan School of Mathematics. It provides free residential mentoring to 30 selected students from underprivileged families to appear in the entrance exam of IIT-JEE. Super30 as an institution that has achieved international recognition for social awakening
• In 2010, the Time Magazine selected Super30 in the list of the Best of Asia
• It was included in the list of four most innovative schools in the world by the Newsweek Magazine
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 29 May 2015
Vice President presents Chhatra Vishwakarma, Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana awards
Bharat Ratna CNR Rao chosen for first Sheikh Saud International Prize for Materials
Gandhi Peace Prize announced for years 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018
PM Narendra Modi conferred with first-ever Philip Kotler Presidential Award