Union Ministry of Home Affairs on 26 April 2013 appointed Anil Goswami, a Jammu and Kashmir cadre IAS officer as Union Home Secretary. Government on 26 April 20134 appointed him as the officer on special duty in the ministry with immediate effect till 30 June 2013. He will take charge from incumbent R.K Singh.
About Anil Goswami
• Anil Goswami (58) is an IAS officer of 1978 batch, Jammu and Kashmir cadre
• He is the first bureaucrat from Jammu and Kashmir to be appointed as Home Secretary
• At present, he is the Secretary in Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment was cleared by the Appointments Committee.
• He has served the J&K and Central Government is different capacities that include Special Secretary in the Home Ministry
• He served as the divisional commissioner of Jammu
• He was the first chief executive of the Vaishno Devi Shrine Board after it was taken over by the government in the early 1990s
His appointment to the office was made by Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. His tenure is fixed for a period of two years, till June 2015.
This is the first time in the history that announcement of the name of the next Home Secretary was made two months earlier from the actual date of assuming the office. Generally, the successor of the post is appointed a month in advance.