Anupam Kher on October 31, 2018 resigned as Chairman of the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), citing international film and TV assignments.
Anupam Kher took office as the Chairman of the prestigious organisation in October 2017. Prior to Kher, Gajendra Chauhan was the Chairman of FTII. Chauhan left office in March 2017.
He offered his resignation through a letter addressed to the Union Minister of Information and Broadcasting Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore. Here’s is his resignation letter:
Reason behind Kher’s resignation
When Kher was approached for the position by Smriti Irani, former Minister of Information and Broadcasting, he had informed her of his commitments with an international TV show, ‘New Amsterdam’.
As the show has now been extended, he will be required to be in the United States for nearly 9 months between 2018 and 2019, and a similar period for another three years.
‘New Amsterdam’ show
Anupam Kher will soon appear in the American television show ‘New Amsterdam’ that requires him to shoot in New York. The actor will portray the role of a neurosurgeon in the series that also stars Ryan Eggold, Janet Montgomery, Jocko Sims and Tyler Labine. The shooting for the show is taking place in New York.
Film and Television Institute of India (FTII)
• Established in 1960, FTII is considered as a premier institute for training in Cinema and Television.
• It is an autonomous institute under the Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting and is aided by the Central Government.
• It is situated on the premises of the erstwhile Prabhat Film Company in Pune.
• FTII is a member of the International Liaison Centre of Schools of Cinema and Television (CILECT), an organisation of the world's leading schools of film and television
• It has been accorded the status of Institute of National Importance by the Union Government.
• It boasts of notable alumni such as Naseeruddin Shah, Shabana Azmi, Om Puri, Jaya Bachchan, among others.
Who: Anupam Kher
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.