Popular Bollywood actress Anushka Sharma was honoured with the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals' (PETA) 2017 Person of the Year Award.
The actress was conferred the award for her wide-reaching work for animals, from helping to protect dogs from fireworks to advocating for horses who are forced to pull carriages in Mumbai.
Speaking on the same, the Associate Director of PETA, Sachin Bangera said that Anushka Sharma is a proud animal rights proponent, whose kindness and initiative know no bounds.
He further added that PETA is calling on everyone to follow her lead by eating healthy plant-based meals, helping community animals by speaking up when they're suffering, and always keeping an eye out for new ways to help animals."
This is not the first time Anushka has been named in the PETA celebrity list. She was named PETA’s Hottest Vegetarian Celebrity in 2015.
Following are some of Anushka’s recent efforts to protect animals:
• Launching of her cruelty-free NUSH clothing line.
• Visiting an animal shelter and promoting its work on her social media platforms.
• Launching a campaign called PAWsitive to raise awareness of the suffering fireworks cause to animals.
• Taking to social media website, Twitter, to demand a ban on cruel carriage rides in Mumbai, where horses are forced to pull passengers in all kinds of weather without getting adequate rest, food or water.
• Sharma also has adopted a dog, which is named Dude.
Other actors to have received the PETA's Person of the Year Award in the past include Kapil Sharma, Hema Malini, R Madhavan and Jacqueline Fernandez.