The Government of Andhra Pradesh and Cisco on 17 March 2016 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to design and implement the AP Fiber Net project.
The MoU was signed during the launch of phase one of the project by State Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu in Visakhapatnam.
Features of AP Fiber Net project
• It is aimed at providing broadband connectivity at affordable rates to all households and institutions in the State.
• It is considered as the first statewide broadband project in India and was launched to realize the vision of Digital Andhra Pradesh.
• It is aimed at providing broadband on fiber to every house in Andhra Pradesh.
• As part of the project, on-demand and affordable broadband connectivity of 2 to 20 Mbps to all households and 1 to 10 Gbps to all institutions will be provided by 2018.
• It will cover 2500 locations and is 22500 km long, reaching 2 million households.
• Cisco has designed and implemented the network infrastructure for the project using statewide high-speed, aerial-optical fiber leveraging existing electricity distribution assets.
• The project will bridge digital divide and is expected to significantly boost the economy.
• The Andhra Pradesh State FiberNet Ltd (APSFL) will be the nodal agency to implement the project.
Highlights of the MoU
• Cisco will set up an Internet of Everything (IoE) Innovation Centre in Visakhapatnam to foster regional innovation.
• The centre will enable partners and startups to build solutions around IoE and engage in rapid prototyping.
• It will also act as a platform to bring startups, accelerators, developers, researchers, ecosystem partners and the venture community together to showcase possibilities of the Internet of Everything.
• Cisco will invest in an advanced Technology Center of Excellence and Research Lab in the Institute of Digital Technology (IDT), Tirupati.
• The centre of excellence will focus on cyber security, smart city and manufacturing solutions.
• It will help train graduate engineers in advanced digital technologies and solutions and equip them with skill sets required for the digital era.
• As part of the initiative to boost research, Cisco will sponsor and collaborate with Andhra University in Visakhapatnam on a 12-month research program.
• The program seeks to identify and explore the possibility of developing and customizing digital technologies and solutions for rural Andhra Pradesh.
• The company will expand Cisco Networking Academy in 70 colleges to train approximately 10000 new students in the state of Andhra Pradesh by 2019.
• The academy will offer cloud-delivered, scalable, high-quality program that helps students learn how to design, build, secure and maintain computer networks and prepare for jobs in the digital economy.
• It will partner with the State Government for the expansion of Golden Mile Project to develop new applications for smart cities in the Andhra Pradesh.
• As part of the project, Cisco already started deploying key technologies in the 5 km area including Smart Wi-Fi, Smart Safety and Security, Smart Lighting, Smart Parking, Smart Transports in Vijaywada.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: 17 March 2016