Bharat Biotech International Ltd Launched the Typhoid Vaccine Called Typbar TCV
Bharat Biotech International Ltd on 26 August 2013 launched the typhoid vaccine called Typbar TCV.
Bharat Biotech International Ltd on 26 August 2013 launched the typhoid vaccine called Typbar TCV, which is capable of providing higher efficacy and longer immunity against typhoid.
Primary features of the new typhoid vaccine
• The new typhoid vaccine is called Typbar TCV.
• The new vaccine will be available in pre-filled syringe.
• The vaccine has the capability of providing immunity for a minimum of ten years.
• The vaccine was tested clinically since 2005 and was evaluated on 1200 subjects at nine different sites. The vaccine proved to be absolutely safe as well as acceptable in all the age groups that were tested.
• The vaccine showed 98 percent seroconversion (a measure of checking vaccine efficacy), in the infants between age 6 months to 12 months. It also showed 99 percent seroconversion in the children between 2 years to 15 years age group and 92 percent in the age group 15 years to 45 years. The present typhoid vaccine has the seroconversion rates of merely 60-70 percent. Also, the present vaccine is effective only on the children above 2 years of age and provides immunity for merely three years.
• The Typbar TCV vaccine is the first typhoid conjugate vaccine which got a licence after undergoing complete full-scale clinical trial process.
Bharat Biotech invested 65 crore Rupees on this vaccine. The vaccine is expected to add the revenues of 40-50 crore Rupees annually. The company also decided to apply for World Health Organisation (WHO) prequalification for this new vaccine. It is worth noticing that WHO prequalification is a prerequisite for participating in the tenders to supply any vaccine for global immunization programmes.
Bharat Biotech had earlier launched a third-generation polysaccharide typhoid vaccine in 2003. This vaccine is exported in huge numbers for not just civilian requirements but also the army requirements. The company also decided to follow the dual-pricing model, where one will be for public health, while the other one will be for private label market. The new vaccine will have a higher price than the present one. The present vaccine has the price of 180 Rupees per dose. The only other company apart from Bharat Biotech to launch a typhoid conjugate vaccine in India is Bio Med Pvt. Ltd.
Typhoid is the kind of fever which is life-threatening. It is caused by bacterium Salmonella typhi, which can be transmitted through water or food contaminated by faeces or urine of infected people. Around 20 million cases of typhoid are reported annually and primarily in the developing countries. In developing countries, around 250000 to 60000 people die because of typhoid. The World Health Organisation revealed that the maximum numbers of typhoid cases are reported from India and Pakistan.
Indian Academy of Pediatrics also advised the Union Government of India to include the typhoid vaccine in national immunisation programme. Bharat Biotech also announced its plan to launch a Japanese encephalitis vaccine.