Career Guidance Counselling Centres were launched on 14 March 2016 in Delhi-NCR. The centres were set-up to provide dedicated career services to young women seeking employment in the region.
The career counselling centres are set up as part of a collaboration between United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the IKEA Foundation, Xyntéo, and the India Development Foundation.
The aim of these centres is to impact the lives of women in India through training, entrepreneurial skill development and employment.
The Counselling Centres, which is first of its kind for women, is built on the findings of a United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) commissioned study. The study had disclosed that almost 80 percent of young women in Delhi did not have access to accurate and timely information on educational and job opportunities.
The Centres will be managed by the Self Employed Womens Association- Bharat, the All-India Federation of SEWA within the Pankh Program of the SEWA Yuva Shakti Kendras in Delhi.
Key highlights of the centres
• The physical centres will be complemented by a cloud-based platform. The platform will provide services such as work readiness e-learning, comprehensive mapping of the opportunities existing in the vicinity of the centre and direct links with the private sector.
• SEWA Bharat will be opening three centres across the Delhi-NCR region. Two of the centres will be based in New Ashok Nagar and Sunder Nagri.
• The community centres will act as hubs and resource centres within the local communities.
• The third centre, a central counselling unit, will be accessible to any woman across the Delhi-NCR region who is interested in learning more about careers.
What is Pankh Program?
The Pankh Program will address three key factors in the community that hold back women from securing employment opportunities. These factors are:
• Community presence: Changing local perspectives on the public and professional spaces that young women can occupy.
• Information: To provide access to comprehensive career counselling opportunities, advice from career counsellors, psychometric mock-testing, information on job and educational opportunities.
• Support structures: To provide community-based support programme.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.