The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) on 22 November 2017 approved the expansion of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) scheme for Pan India reach covering all the 640 districts (as per census 2011) of the Country.
The committee approved a total outlay of Rs 1132.5 Crore for Beti Bachao Beti Padhao expansion for the duration 2017-18 to 2019-20.
The expansion under Beti Bachao Beti Padhao scheme came following the successful implementation of the scheme in 161 districts of the country.
• Out of 640 districts, BBBP is currently getting implemented in 161 districts.
• The expansion includes Multi sectoral intervention in 244 districts in addition to existing 161 districts and 235 districts will be covered through Alert District Media, Advocacy and Outreach.
• The Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme was launched by the Prime Minister on 22 January 2015 at Panipat, Haryana.
• It is a comprehensive programme that aims to address the declining Child Sex Ratio (CSR) and issues related to empowerment of women.
• The CSR, defined as number of girls per 1000 boys in the age group of 0-6 years, declined sharply from 976 in 1961 to 918 in Census 2011. Resultantly, Union Government launched this scheme to improve this ratio.
• At present, BBBP scheme is being implemented as a tri-ministerial effort of Union Ministries of Women and Child Development, Health & Family Welfare and Human Resource Development in selected 161 districts enabling girls' education.
• The scheme has also been ensuring effective enforcement of Pre-Conception & Pre Natal Diagnostic Techniques (PC&PNDT) Act.
• The specific objectives of the scheme include preventing gender biased sex selective elimination; ensuring survival and protection of the girl child and ensuring education and participation of the girl child.
• At the Central level, Union Ministry of Women and Child Development is the nodal ministry for the programme and at the State level, Chief Secretaries heads the State Task Force (STF) to monitor the implementation of the scheme.
• At the District level, District Collectors coordinate action of all departments for implementation of BBBP.
What: Approved by CCEA
When: 22 November 2017