India, Uzbekistan signed 17 MoUs in various fields including security & defence
• India and Uzbekistan have decided to further deepen ties in various fields including security and defence. This was decided during the high-level bilateral talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and visiting Uzbek President Shavkat Mirziyoyev on October 1, 2018 in New Delhi.
• The leaders stated during a joint press conference that both the countries are committed to regional peace and India will extend all assistance to Uzbekistan to maintain peace in the region.
• India and Uzbekistan signed 17 MoUs in various fields including agriculture, Tourism, combating illicit trafficking, health and medical science and pharmaceuticals.
• Besides, the leaders of the two nations held constructive discussion on cooperation in trade and investment, development cooperation, education, renewable energy, connectivity and tourism.
RBI to inject Rs 36000 cr into system through purchase of govt bonds
• The Reserve Bank announced on October 1, 2018 that it will inject Rs 36000 crore into the system through purchase of government bonds in October to meet the festival season demand for funds.
• In a release the RBI said the decision to conduct purchase of Government securities under OMOs was based on an assessment of the durable liquidity needs.
• The auctions to purchase government bonds as part of the Open Market Operations will be conducted in the second, third and fourth week of October.
Twitter, Facebook assure EC not to allow their platforms against purity of polls
• Internet giant Google and social media giants Twitter and Facebook have assured the Election Commission of India that they will not allow their platforms to be used for anything that effects the purity of polls during the campaign period.
• India’s Chief Election Commissioner OP Rawat said that there was a small pilot project tested during the Karnataka Assembly elections and now there will be a bigger one before the Lok Sabha polls.
• Rawat said that a committee under Senior Deputy Election Commissioner Umesh Sinha had called regional and local heads of Google, Facebook and Twitter and asked them as to what they can do for ensuring purity of elections such as avoiding adverse impact of fake news and targeted communication to voters.
• The companies have assured the poll panel that all political advertisements will be flagged including the amount spent, so that expenditure can also be accounted for during campaigning.
US warship sails near South China Sea area claimed by Beijing: Pentagon
• An American warship has sailed through waters off the contested Spratly Islands in the South China Sea, in the latest implicit challenge to China’s sweeping territorial claims in the region.
• The Guided-missile destroyer USS Decatur conducted a freedom of navigation operation. The Decatur sailed within 12 nautical miles of Gaven and Johnson reefs in the Spratly Islands.
• The US military operations in the area are designed in accordance with international law and demonstrate that the United States will fly, sail and operate wherever international law allows.
• The 12-mile distance is commonly accepted as constituting the territorial waters of a landmass. China claims nearly all of the South China Sea, though Taiwan, the Philippines, Brunei, Malaysia and Vietnam all claim parts of it.
• There was no immediate reaction from China, but a similar US operation in July, involving the disputed Paracel islands, prompted a furious China to deploy military vessels and fighter jets.
International Day of Older Persons observed
• The International Day of Older Persons was observed across the world on October 1, 2018. The day is observed on every year to reaffirm the commitment to promoting the full and equal enjoyment of all human rights and fundamental freedoms by older persons.
• The day’s theme this year is, 'Celebrating Older Human Rights champions'. The key objective of the UN day is to recognise the contributions of older persons and to examine issues that affect their lives.
• According to the United Nations, almost 700 million people are now over the age of 60, and by 2050, 2 billion people, over 20 per cent of the world's population, will be 60 or older.
• The increase in the number of older people will be the greatest and the most rapid in the developing world, with Asia as the region with the largest number of older persons and Africa facing the largest proportionate growth.
• On the occasion, Vice President Venkaiah Naidu conferred Vayoshreshtha Samman 2018 for Eminent Senior Citizen and institutions in recognition of their services towards the cause of the elderly persons in New Delhi. The award was instituted by the Social Justice Ministry initially in 2005 and upgraded to the status of National Awards in 2013.
Rohit Sharma climbs to 2nd spot, Shikhar Dhawan to 5th in ICC ODI batsmen rankings
• Indian openers Rohit Sharma and Shikhar Dhawan have made significant gains in the latest ICC ODI Rankings for Batsmen following India's recent Asia Cup victory in the UAE.
• Sharma, who led the team in the absence of top-ranked batsman Virat Kohli, has shot up two places to the second spot. Sharma aggregated 317 runs, while Dhawan topped the tournament with 342 runs to gain four slots and reach fifth.
• Another Indian to gain in the rankings is spinner Kuldeep Yadav, who has advanced three places to take a career-best third position in the bowlers' list.
• He finished the Asia Cup as the joint-highest wicket-taker along with Bangladesh's fast bowler Mustafizur Rahman and Afghanistan leg-spinner Rashid Khan, all of who finished with 10 wickets each.
• Rashid has also displaced former Bangladesh captain Shakib Al Hasan from the top of the All-rounders' list.
• In the team rankings, India gained one point, but there has been no change in positions in the list led by England. India remains on the second position, while New Zealand is on the third.
8th Asian Yoga Sports Championship held in Thiruvananthapuram
• The 8th Asian Yoga Sports Championship was organised by Asian Yoga Federation in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala from September 27, 2018. The event was formally inaugurated by Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan.
• The four-day event saw participation from nearly 450 participants from 12 countries across Asia.
• The Indian team included 111 yoga exponents, including five Keralites.
• The competitions was be held under various age groups in six categories including Asian yogasana sports competition, artistic yoga, artistic pair yoga, rhythmic yoga, free flow dance competition, and professional yogasana sports competition.
• The pan-Asian yoga event is being held in the country for the second time.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.