Current Affairs in Short: 19 March 2018
A special CBI court in Ranchi on March 19, 2018 convicted Rashtriya Janata Dal Chief Lalu Prasad in another scam case in Dumka, Jharkhand and acquitted former Bihar Chief Minister Jagannath Mishra in the case.
Lalu Prasad convicted in another fodder scam case
• A special CBI court in Ranchi on March 19, 2018 convicted Rashtriya Janata Dal Chief Lalu Prasad in another scam case in Dumka, Jharkhand and acquitted former Bihar Chief Minister Jagannath Mishra in the case.
• The court postponed the judgment as Lalu Prasad filed a petition under 319 CrPC asking the then three officials of the Accountant General, in the 1990s, be made a party to the case.
• This is the fourth case relating to the fodder scam, for the fraudulent withdrawal of Rs 3.13 crore from the Dumka treasury.
Bilaspur’s stone age tools link Sivalik cultures
• Researchers from the Anthropological Survey of India (AnSI) have discovered a number of Acheulian artefacts dating to about 1500000 to 150000 years ago from an unexplored site at Ghumarwin in Bilaspur district of Himachal Pradesh.
• The site is close to the site where scientists in the 19th century discovered fossil remains of Sivapithecus, the last common ancestor of orangutans and humans.
• The discovery of stone tools belonging to the Acheulian age presents the possibility of continuity of the two stone age cultures at the site.
Google makes push to turn product searches into cash
• Google is tying-up with retailers including Target Corp, Walmart Inc, Home Depot Inc, Costco Wholesale Corp and Ulta Beauty Inc to turn product searches into cash.
• Under a new programme, retailers can list their products on Google Search, Google Express shopping service and Google Assistant.
• In exchange for these Google listings and linking, the retailers need to pay Google a piece of each purchase, which is different from payments that retailers make to place ads on Google platforms.
Sony India appoints Sunil Nayyar as MD
• Sony India announced the appointment of Sunil Nayyar as its Managing Director (MD) in place of Kenichiro Hibi.
• Hibi, who was MD of Sony India from 2012 till 2018, has now been appointed as President for Sony Brazil.
• Nayyar is the first Indian to be appointed as Managing Director for Sony India. He presently holds the position in Sony North America as head of Retail Experience.
UK-US firms create largest genomics project to study Indian population
• A UK-based genomics data platform Global Gene Corp (GGC) and an American genetics company Regeneron Genetics Center (RGC)collaborated to create the world’s largest project of its kind to study Indian population.
• Both the companies will work to find innovative diagnosis and therapies for rare diseases.
• Scientists will sequence the exomes of people from the Indian subcontinent in order to gain insights into alternative forms of genes architecture and specified diseases.
Take precaution while sharing Aadhaar information on internet: UIDAI
• The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) asked people to take due precautions while sharing their Aadhaar information on the internet for availing any service.
• It asserted that posting of Aadhaar cards on the internet will have absolutely no bearing on UIDAI and not the least on Aadhaar security.
• The statement came after a few reports claimed that information about Aadhaar may be available from third-party websites and that a Google search may lead to Aadhaar details of several people.
China appoints Yi Gang as Governor of People's Bank of China
• China appointed American-trained economist Yi Gang as Governor of People's Bank of China.
• Yi is currently serving as Deputy to incumbent central bank Governor Zhou Xiaochuan.
• Yi's appointment was approved during the ongoing session of 13th National People's Congress.
Aamir Khan replaces Ranveer Singh as Vivo India's Brand Ambassador
• Chinese smartphone maker Vivo appointed Bollywood superstar Aamir Khan as its brand ambassador for India, replacing actor Ranveer Singh.
• Aamir Khan's films "Dangal" and "Secret Superstar" fetched unprecedented success in China.
• Aamir will soon be seen in a full-fledged marketing campaign of the upcoming products and a new TV commercial.