Current Affairs in Short: 20 September 2019
PM Narendra Modi and President Khaltmaagiin jointly unveiled a statue of Lord Buddha at Gandan Monastery in Ulaanbaatar through video-conferencing from New Delhi.
Statue of Lord Buddha unveiled at Gandan Monastery
• PM Narendra Modi and President Khaltmaagiin jointly unveiled a statue of Lord Buddha at Gandan Monastery in Ulaanbaatar through video-conferencing.
• This is for the first time when any Mongolian President is on a state visit to India in the last ten years.
• Earlier, in 2015, PM Modi had announced to gift a statue of Lord Buddha to the Gandan Monastery during his visit.
DoNER Ministry approves projects worth Rs 3,000 cr
• Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) has recently approved more than 200 projects worth Rs 3,000 cr in the Entire North East including ASSAM.
• According to the information provided by DoNER Minister Jitendra Singh, 110 projects worth Rs 1699 crore were sanctioned for the development of the North-East states where 66 projects costing 820 crores have been completed.
• Construction of double-lane road from Lanka to Umrangso costing 199.50 crores, the first Bamboo Industrial Park in Assam and Digboi town water supply scheme construction worth Rs 44.52 crores are some major schemes.
ICC banned Srilanka’s Dananjaya for illegal action
• The International Cricket Council (ICC) has ordered to ban Sri Lanka’s spinner Akila Dananjaya from bowling for one year due to an illegal action.
• Initially, he was banned in December 2018 due to his illegal bowling action for one year. Now, another 12-month ban was sanctioned as he was found repeating the action again.
• Akila Dananjaya underwent an independent assessment in Chennai that revealed he is practising an illegal bowling action.
World’s largest hand-woven carpet at UAE's Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque
• A 5,630 square metres of hand-woven carpet is located in Abu Dhabi’s Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque.
• This carpet is the world’s largest as it can accommodate about 40,000 worshippers at one time.
• The Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque is also famous for its 80 domes and gold gilded chandeliers.