Current Affairs in Short: 23 September 2019
Gully Boy has been nominated as India's official entry for the Oscar Awards. It has been directed by Zoya Akhtar.
Gully Boy: India's official entry for the Oscars
• Gully Boy has been nominated as India's official entry for the 92nd Oscars. It was directed by Zoya Akhtar.
• Gully Boy features its main character Ranveer Singh as an aspiring rapper who struggles a lot to become successful.
• Earlier, in 23rd Bucheon International Fantastic Film Festival (BIFAN), Gully Boy had received the Promotion of Asian Cinema (NETPAC) Award held at South Korea.
Sebastian Vettel wins Singapore Grand Prix
• Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel has recently won Singapore Grand Prix 2.641 seconds ahead of teammate Charles Leclerc.
• It was Vettel’s fifth Grand Prix victory in Singapore. However, Max Verstappen of Red Bull team was third and Lewis Hamilton was fourth.
• Mercedes’ driver Valtteri Bottas finished fifth, Red Bull’s Alexander Albon sixth and Lando Norris finished seventh.
International Day of Sign Languages
• International Day of Sign Languages (IDSL) 2019 is being observed today across the globe with an objective to raise awareness of the importance of sign languages.
• The theme of Sign languages Day 2019 is – Sign Language Rights for All.
• Sign Language Day is observed across the globe with various events and celebrations. Thaawarchand Gehlot, Social Justice and Empowerment Minister, distributed awards to the winners of the Second Indian Sign Language Competition 2019.
2019 is hottest year ever: UN Report
• According to the latest report released by the United Nations (UN), 2019 is set to be the hottest year ever.
• Earlier, the UN had already declared past four years as the hottest since record-keeping began in 1850.
• The report was compiled by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO). UN is hosting a climate summit where more than 60 world leaders will attend the summit.