Current Affairs in Short: 24 July 2019
Global Innovation Index (GII) has launched by Union Minister for Commerce and Industries Piyush Goyal.
Govt re-built GoM on sexual harassment at workplace
• Centre Government has restructured the Group of Ministers (GoM) on sexual harassment at workplace and strengthens legal frameworks.
• Union Ministers Nirmala Sitharaman, Amit Shah, Ramesh Pokhriyal 'Nishank' and Women and Child Development Minister Smriti Irani are members of the group.
• To deal with and prevent sexual harassment at workplace this GoM was constituted. It can inspect and give recommendations for strengthening the legal and institutional framework.
Piyush Goyal launches Global Innovation Index
• Global Innovation Index (GII) has launched by Union Minister for Commerce and Industries Piyush Goyal.
• In the 2019 Index, India improved their position by 5 positions in a year to achieve the 52nd rank. This index is considered as a charter for assessing the innovation capabilities of national economies worldwide.
• Theme for year 2019 is - evaluating the Medical Innovation Scenario of the Next Decade. India has been performing well in terms of innovation and newly-emerging technologies and has fared its position by 24 places in the global index since 2015.
Russia regrets over violating S Korean airspace
• Information issued by Seoul's Presidential office, Russia has expressed regret for violation of South Korean airspace by Russian fighter jets, Russia called it a technical glitch.
• The Russian defence ministry had earlier denied this incident. Seoul said a Russian warplane had twice violated its territorial airspace.
• Japan also has protested both to Russia and South Korea over the incident because it claims sovereignty over the islands.
India’s total fertility rate is declining: Report
• As per the recent infromation issued by govenment's Sample Registration System in 22 states, TFR for India declined to 2.2 in 2017 after being stable at 2.3 between 2013 and 2016.
• Total Fertility Rate shows that the average number of children expected to be born to a woman during her reproductive span of 15-49 years.
• In this index, a replacement level is indicating the number of children needed to replace the parents, after accounting for fatalities, skewed sex ratio, infant mortality, etc. Population starts falling below this level.
Govt. Issues strict direction to deal with fugitive economic offenders
• The Government issued directions to deal with willful bank loan defaulters or fugitive economic- offenders.
• The Immigration Authorities can detain as well as prevent any person, including a willful defaulter, from leaving India against whom LOC has been issued. Bureau of Immigration has opened 83 LoCs till now at the behest of banks.
• Fugitive Economic Offenders Act, 2018 has been enacted for effective action against economic offenders fleeing Indian jurisdiction.