Third highest national flag installed in Guwahati
• Assam on October 2, 2018 joined the rest of the country in celebrating the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi by unfurling India's third highest national flag and tallest from the average city elevation.
• The 319.5 feet flag pole is the highest in the country with respect to the average elevation of the city.
• Considering only the height of the flag pole, it is ranked the third highest in the country after the one on Indo-Pakistan border at Attari (360 ft) and Pimpri Chinchwad Bhakti Shakti Chawk, Pune (351 ft).
• The project of installation of the national flag was conceived by the state with a view to create a place of pride and honour to the supreme sacrifices made by the citizens led by Mahatma Gandhi during the freedom movement.
Mohd Mushtaque Ahmad elected as President of Hockey India
• Hockey Bihar's Mohd Mushtaque Ahmad has now been elected as the President of Hockey India following the 8th Hockey India Congress and Elections held on October 1, 2018.
• Ahmad who formerly held the Secretary-General post will now take over from outgoing President Rajinder Singh after being elected unopposed.
• While Gyanendro Ningombam of Manipur Hockey will take over as the Senior Vice President, Asima Ali of Hockey Jammu & Kashmir and Bhola Nath Singh of Hockey Jharkhand will take over each as Vice Presidents.
• Hockey Jammu & Kashmir's Rajinder Singh, who held the President’s post after Mariamma Koshy had reached the retirement age earlier this year, has been elected as the new Secretary General.
Vikram Misri appointed India's next ambassador to China
• Ambassador of India to Myanmar, Vikram Misri has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to China.
• The information was shared by the Ministry of External Affairs in an official release on September 28, 2018.
• Misri, a 1989 batch IFS officer, is expected to take up the assignment shortly.
Iraq: Parliament elects Barham Salih as new president
• Iraq's Parliament has elected a veteran Kurdish Politician Barham Salih as the country's new President. He has named Shiite Adel Abdul Mahdi as Prime Minister of the country. The move will pave the way to form a new government, nearly five months after national elections.
• The Patriotic Union of Kurdistan leader Salih won 220 votes out of the 273 lawmakers who attended the parliamentary session, held on October 2, 2018. Salih was among 20 candidates for the post, including one from the rival Kurdistan Democratic Party.
• The two parties have dominated Kurdish politics for decades. Under an unofficial agreement dating back to the 2003 US-led invasion, Iraq's presidency, a largely ceremonial role, is held by a Kurd, while the Prime Minister is Shiite and the Parliament Speaker is Sunni.
• Iraq held elections in May 12. The new President will have 15 days to task the nominee of the largest parliamentary bloc with forming a new government. The Prime Minister-designate will then have 30 days to submit his cabinet to parliament.
Twitter India unveils 'Gandhi Emoji'
• Twitter has unveiled a 'Gandhi Emoji' which users around the world can use in their tweets to celebrate Mahatma Gandhi's 150th birthday.
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi officially launched the emoji of Mahatma Gandhi on the social media platform. The emoji will be available till October 8, 2018.
• The new emoji, featuring a caricature of Mahatma Gandhi, can be used with hashtags like #GandhiJayanti, #MKGandhi, #BapuAt150, #MahatmaGandhi, #MyGandhigiri, #MahatmaAt150 and #NexusOfGood, among others.
• The initiative was conceptualised keeping in mind the sentiment and to reinforce a sense of unity and harmony among people in India and Indians around the world.
Renowned violinist Bala Bhaskar dead
• Renowned violinist Bala Bhaskar, who was critically injured in a road accident last month, died early on October 2, 2018. He was 40.
• Bala Bhaskar's two-year-old daughter was killed in the September 25 accident, while his wife Lakshmi was seriously injured and is currently undergoing treatment.
• The family was returning after temple worship at Thrissur when their car went out of control and hit a tree. The car was being driven by Bhaskar's friend, Arjun, who was also injured.
• Bala Bhaskar had suffered multiple injuries and had undergone a surgery. He suffered a massive cardiac arrest around 1 am and passed away, as per hospital sources.
• Bala Bhaskar had composed music for at least three films, brought out several music albums and had introduced fusion music to Keralites.
International Gandhi Peace Prize not awarded since 2014
• As the country celebrated the 149th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi on October 2, 2018, the annual 'International Gandhi Peace Prize', named after Father of the Nation, has not been conferred for the fourth straight year.
• Last time, the award was conferred in 2014 to the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
• The nodal agency which receives proposals for conferring the award, said nominations were made during the last four years for the coveted award, but an approval has been awaited.
• As a tribute to the ideals espoused by Gandhi, the Government of India launched the International Gandhi Peace Prize in 1995 on the occasion of his 125th birth anniversary.
• The annual award is given to individuals and institutions for their contribution towards social, economic and political transformation through non-violence and other Gandhian methods.
• The award carries Rs 1 crore (10 million) in cash, convertible in any currency in the world, a plaque and a citation.
Rajasthan CM inaugurates Dravyavati rejuvenation project
• Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje inaugurated Dravyavati River Rejuvenation Project in Jaipur on October 2, 2018.
• The project, which has been executed by Tata Projects Limited, is spread across a 47.5-km-long rain fed riverfront.
• It aims to reduce pollution, create green spaces and treat 170 million litres of sewerage water every day. Dravyavati river was a source of water in the city in the past but with time, it turned into a sewage drain.
• The encroachments were removed from the Nallah which helped restore the river and a 16-km of the riverfront has been completed and dedicated to the public while works for the rest are on.
• More than 17,000 trees, shrubs, and ornamental plants have been planted along the banks of the river.
• The inaugurated area also has free-to-use public Wi-Fi connections.
180 butterfly species recorded in Arunachal Pradesh
• Around 180 species of butterflies were recorded in the three-day North East Butterfly meet that concluded at the Pakke Wildlife Sanctuary and Tiger Reserve in Arunachal Pradesh on October 1, 2018.
• The event is an annual meet that encourages research and conservation of the colourful insects. Around 50 participants from different states participated in the event.
• It provides a common platform for butterfly enthusiasts, wildlife researchers and staff of the forest department to interact on butterfly diversity, distribution and conservation and also explore their rich diversity in the region.
• The important species of butterflies recorded include the 'Creteus Cyrina', 'Arhopala Oenea' and 'Chersonesia Intermedia'.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week