Current Affairs in Short: 5 October 2018
Justice Surya Kant was sworn-in as the Chief Justice of Himachal High Court, nearly nine months after the Supreme Court collegium recommended his name for the post. The post of Chief Justice of the Himachal High Court had been lying vacant since April 2017.
Justice Surya Kant sworn-in as Chief Justice of Himachal High Court
• Justice Surya Kant was sworn-in as the Chief Justice of Himachal High Court, nearly nine months after the Supreme Court collegium recommended his name for the post.
• The post of Chief Justice of the Himachal High Court had been lying vacant since April 2017.
• On January 10, 2018, the SC collegium had recommended the name of Justice Kant, a judge of the Punjab and Haryana High Court.
• Incidentally, the Law Ministry issued the notification announcing his appointment on the day Justice Ranjan Gogoi took oath as the next Chief Justice of India.
• Kant was the Advocate General of Haryana till his elevation as a permanent judge to the Punjab and Haryana High Court in January 2004.
IAF successfully conducts series of flight trials of Astra Beyond Visual Range Air-to-Air Missile
• Indian Air Force (IAF) successfully undertook series of flight trials of Astra Beyond Visual Range Air-to-Air Missile (BVR-AAM) from September 26 to October 3, 2018.
• The tests were conducted at Integrated Test Range (ITR), Balasore, Odisha as a part of final development trials of the missile.
• The missile was tested in combination of complex tests for engagement of pilotless target in different modes of manoeuvring, off-boresight, medium and long ranges.
• These trials were combination of complex tests for engagement of pilotless target in different modes of manoeuvring, off-boresight, medium and long ranges.
• These tests make missile ready for induction in service in 2019.
Indian Railways launches Committed Programs to bring changes under the Swachh Bharat Mission
• Indian Railway launched a committed program to increase the green cover in all public utility spaces like railway stations and mass contact offices besides other working premises and railway colonies.
• Laudatory participation in Shramdaan by Railways officers & employees in connection with recently organized Swacchta Hi Sewa national cleanliness campaign has been one of the strong impactful measures by the Railways.
• The planting of 13.27 lakh saplings during the fortnight program alongside 1300 km route kilometre of track, near station areas and on vacant land plots has been one of the noteworthy efforts to create green public spaces.
• In keeping with its mission mode to improve sanitation on its premises, the Indian Railways allocated Rs. 300 crore to renovation of existing toilets, construction of new toilets.
• Swachhta Hi Sewa program on the Railways has been a forceful communication platform that the Railways have managed to achieve in recent years.
India launched Operation Samudra Maitri to assist Indonesia
• India launched ‘Operation Samudra Maitri’ to assist victims of earthquake and tsunami in Sulawesi Province of Indonesia.
• Two Indian Air Force (IAF) aircraft, C-130J, and C-17 departed from India carrying onboard medical personnel and relief material for Indonesia.
• Moreover, three Indian Naval Ships – INS Tir, INS Sujatha, and INS Shardul were also mobilised to carry out disaster relief.
AFSPA extended in 3 districts in Arunachal
• The Union government extended the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958 in three districts of Arunachal Pradesh, declaring them as ‘disturbed area’.
• These three districts are Tirap, Changlang, and Longding.
• Armed Forces Act, 1958 in these areas has been extended up to March 31, 2019 with effect from October 1, 2018.
• AFSPA grants special powers to the Indian Armed Forces in ‘disturbed areas’.
RBI allows OMCs to raise money from overseas
• The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has allowed state-owned Oil Marketing Companies (OMC) to borrow long-term working capital from overseas.
• The apex bank relaxed the foreingn exchange policy rules on borrowing up to 10 billion US dollar from the overseas by the state-owned fuel retailers.
• The Oil Marketing Companies are now allowed to raise External Commercial Borrowing (ECB) of minimum maturity of 3 or 5 years.
Video: Check out the latest current affairs of this week