14 December 2017: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. The day’s updated quizzes cover the topics like World Economic Situation and Prospects 2018, National Energy Conservation Day and 2017 Mother Teresa Memorial Award among others.
1. United Nations ‘World Economic Situation and Prospects 2018’ report forecasted what per cent of GDP growth for India for 2018?
a) 7.2 per cent
b) 7.4 per cent
c) 7.6 per cent
d) 7.8 per cent
2. Who was appointed as the Executive Director of Reserve Bank of India recently?
a) Meena Hemchandra
b) Uma Shankar
c) KS Joshi
d) TR Ramachandran
3. The Supreme Court referred which sports activity to the five-judge Constitution bench for determining whether it is cultural right within Article 29 of the Constitution?
b) Camel Race
d) Horse Racing
4. Who was conferred with the inaugural Diwali "Power of One" award of the UN?
a) Arundhati Bhattacharya
b) Nita Ambani
c) Aishwarya Rai
d) Laxmi puri
5. India was ranked at what position in terms of mobile internet speed in the Speedtest Global Index released by Ookla?
6. 'Feminism' was named as the word of the year 2017 by which dictionary?
a) Oxford Dictionary
d) Cambridge English Dictionary
7. Which submarine is the first indigenously built Scorpene-class submarine to be commissioned into the Indian navy?
a) INS Kalvari
b) INS KhanderI
c) INS Karanj
d) INS Kursura
8. Which day is celebrated as National Energy Conservation Day?
a) 13 December
b) 14 December
c) 10 December
d) 11 December
9. Bollywood actor, writer and director, Neeraj Vora passed away on 14 December after being in coma for over a year. Which among the following films did not feature him as an actor?
d) Welcome Back
10. Which two nations met recently to overcome the World War II legacy that soured relations between them?
a) Italy and Germany
b) France and Germany
c) Russia and Japan
d) Ukraine and Poland
11. Which Indian cricketer became the first-ever batsman to score 3 double centuries in ODIs?
a) Virat Kohli
b) Shikhar Dhawan
c) Mahendra Singh Dhoni
d) Rohit Sharma
12. Which Indian actor was honoured with the 2017 Mother Teresa Memorial Award?
a) Amitabh Bachchan
b) Shahrukh Khan
c) Priyanka Chopra
d) Deepika Padukone
1. (a) 7.2 per cent
According to ‘World Economic Situation and Prospects 2018’ report, India’s GDP growth is projected to accelerate from 6.7 per cent in 2017 to 7.2 per cent in 2018 and 7.4 per cent in 2019 on the back of strong private consumption, public investment and the ongoing structural reforms.
2. (b) Uma Shankar
Uma Shankar was appointed as the new Executive Director of Reserve Bank of India (RBI). She succeeds Meena Hemchandra, the executive director in charge of the RBI supervision department, who retired at the end of November 2017.
3. (c) Jallikattu
Supreme Court referred pleas challenging Tamil Nadu bull-taming sport jallikattu to a five-judge Constitution Bench. The Constitution Bench has been asked to decide whether jallikattu is a cultural right, and whether states can claim protection under Article 29 of the Constitution which ensures protection of interests of minorities.
4. (d) Laxmi puri
Six top diplomats, including Indian woman Laxmi puri, have been felicitated with the inaugural Diwali "Power of One" award at the UN headquarters. Laxmi puri is Indian head of the UN Women. They were awarded for their contribution to help form a more "perfect, peaceful and secure world.
5. (a) 109
Popular speed testing service Ookla released its November edition of the Speedtest Global Index ranking 122 countries. India was ranked at 109th position in mobile internet speed and at 76th position out of 133 countries for broadband speed.
6. (b) Merriam-Webster
Feminism was on 13 December 2017 named as the Merriam-Webster’s word of the year 2017. In the year 2017, searches for 'feminism' increased by 70 per cent over 2016 on Merriam-Webster.com. 'Feminism' has also been in Merriam-Webster’s annual Top 10 list for the past few years.
7. (a) INS Kalvari
INS Kalvari, the first of the Scorpene-class submarines, was commissioned by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 14 December 2017. The indigenously-built war ship is the first of six such submarines that will be inducted into the Indian Navy. It represents a significant success for the Make in India initiative.
8. (b) 14 December
The National Energy Conservation Day was celebrated on 14 December 2017. The day aims to demonstrate India’s achievements in energy efficiency and conservation, while working for its ambition of holistic development as part of the nation’s overall effort towards climate change mitigation.
9. (b) Talaash
Bollywood actor, writer and director, Neeraj Vora, known for films such as "Satya", "Phir Hera Pheri" and "Daud", passed away on 14 December 2017, after being in coma for over a year. He was 54. Vora has worked in several films including Rangeela, Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman, Akele Hum Akele Tum, Daud, Virasat, Mann and Company.
10. (d) Ukraine and Poland
The Presidents of Ukraine and Poland have met to find ways of overcoming the World War II legacy that sours relations between the neighbouring countries. Poland generally supports closer relations between Ukraine and the European Union but the government also wants Polish civilians who were victims of Ukrainian armed units during World War II to be recognised. In Ukraine, the fighters are regarded as heroes who fought both German Nazis and the Soviets.
11. (d) Rohit Sharma
Indian batsman Rohit Sharma created history on 13 December 2017 by becoming the first batsman in the history of cricket to score three double centuries in one-day internationals (ODI). The ace batsman achieved the feat during India’s second ODI against Sri Lanka in Mohali, Punjab, in which India put up a mammoth score of 394/4 in 50 overs.
12. (c) Priyanka Chopra
Indian actor, Priyanka Chopra has been bestowed with the 2017 Mother Teresa Memorial Award for her contribution towards lending her support to social causes such as her recent visit to Syria where she met and interacted with refugee children.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.