The Indian Railways will be launching a special rail service, Utkrisht Double-Decker AC Yatri (Uday) Express in July 2017.
The over-night train would ply only on high-demand routes like Delhi- Lucknow and its fare would be lower than that of the 3AC class in regular express trains.
• The aim of the double-decker service is to provide better amenities to passengers in a lesser fare.
• The 120- seater AC service would have large automatic vending machines in each coach, which would dispense pre-cooked hot food and tea/ cold drinks
• The train would also be equipped with large LCD screens in every coach along with wi- fi speaker system.
• It would also be equipped with bio-toilets.
• Its interior would sport an aesthetically designed modern look.
• The introduction of the service will help the public transporter clear the rush in high demand routes, as the train would have 40 per cent more carrying capacity in comparison to other trains.
However, in spite of being an overnight train, it would not have sleeper berths but it would though have added facilities such as comfortable seats and adequate leg space to ensure travellers a comfortable and smooth journey.
The service, announced in rail budget 2016-17, is slated to run at a speed of 110 km speed per hour on high-density routes.