The Retirement fund body Employees' Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) launched its e-Passbook service on 21 June 2013. It will help PF subscribers to access their accounts online. Active subscribers, whose electronic challan-cum-return is already uploaded, can download their e-Passbook every month. The facility shall be available on www.epfindia.gov.in.
In the case of members who are not active (left service) and have not settled their account or have not become inoperative, the facility to download the passbook on request basis shall be available. Any member of EPFO can register on the member portal by using his or her photo identification number, such as PAN, Aadhaar, National Population Registry, driving licence, passport, voter ID, ration card and use the mobile number as password.
The major features of e-Passbook are as following:
• Provident fund details can be checked on the website- www.epfindia.gov.in
• Any individual can register himself/herself on the portal by using ID card
• PAN, Aadhaar, driving license, passport, voter ID and ration cards can be used for registration
• e-Passbook contains transaction details of an individual’s account
• EPFO has announced to pay 8.5 percent interest on Provident Fund deposits for 2012-13
The facility, however, will not be available for members under exempted establishments under the EPF Scheme 1952 (as the fund details are maintained by the Trust) and inoperative members (i.e. in accounts where no contribution has been received in the preceding 36 months). Under the e-Passbook service, only one registration will be allowed against one mobile number, and a member can download the passbook for only one account number under one establishment. A senior EPFO official told that the exempted PF trust regulated by the body would also be asked to provide this service to their members.
When: 21 June 2013.