Miguel D'Escoto Brockmann, former Foreign Minister of Nicaragua and former President of the UN General Assembly, passed away on 8 June 2017. He was 84.
He was born in the United States to a Nicaraguan diplomat who served in the administration of dictator Anastasio Somoza Garcia.
About Miguel D'Escoto Brockmann
• In 1961, D'Escoto Brockmann was ordained as a priest of the Maryknoll Missionary Society in New York and adopted the doctrine of liberation theology.
• In 1975, he secretly joined the Nicaraguan Sandinista National Liberation Front (FSLN) against the Somoza dynasty.
• In 1984, Pope John Paul II declared that D'Escoto Brockmann could not celebrate Mass because of his government activities. However in 2014, Pope Francis lifted the suspension and permitted D'Escoto to celebrate Mass.
• In 2007, he was sent to New York as a Nicaragua's representative before the United Nations.
• He served as the UN General Assembly President in 2008 and 2009.
What: Passed away
When: 8 June 2017