The 91-year-old gynaecologist, Dr. Bhakti Yadav was presented with the Padma Shri award at her residence on 20 April 2017.
The award was presented to her by district collector P Narahari in the presence of the state’s Finance Minister Jayant Malaiya and Mayor Malini Gaud, as she was unable to attend the function organised in New Delhi on 13 April where the President of India, Pranab Mukherjee had given away the prestigious civilian awards to the recipients.
• The award aims to recognize her selfless service towards her patients, especially the ones from a poor background.
• The nonagenarian doctor has been treating her patients for free since 1948.
• In her 68-year-long career, Dr. Yadav has helped deliver more than a thousand babies.
• She has also treated over one lakh poor women free of cost during her medical practice.
About Bhakti Yadav
• Born on 3 April 2017, she completed her primary education in Garoth town.
• She completed her schooling from Ahilya Ashram School in Indore.
• She is the first female MBBS doctor from Indore. She is popularly referred to as ‘Doctor Didi’.
• She was the only female student in the 1948-1953 batch of MBBS course in Indore's Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Medical College.
Even though now, Dr. Bhakti Yadav is not able to treat many patients due to her age, her advice itself is deemed as valuable by patients from far and wide.
When: 20 April 2017