Ghanshyam Singh on 21 March 2017 was appointed as new Member (Traction) Railway Board and ex officio Secretary to the Government of India.
Singh is an officer of Indian Railway Service of Electrical Engineering (IRSEE) of 1979 batch. He is also a Gold Medalist in B.E. in Electrical Engineering from Allahabad University.
About Ghanshyam Singh
• Prior to being appointed as Member (Traction) Railway Board, Ghanshyam Singh served as the General Manager of Eastern Railway in Kolkata.
• He also worked as Chief Electrical Engineer at Northern Railway.
• In addition, he worked in various other important posts at Railway Board level and all over Indian Railways.
• He implemented several innovative projects including planning for Rail Infrastructure Development of Power Plant and Refineries, Rail Electrification, Multi Modal Transport Logistic Park, Development of Micro Processor based tokenless system for PRS, Installation of First Travelator of India on IR System at Habibganj Railway station, and so on.
• He also designed and commissioned batterycum-25 KV OHE operated shunting-cum-training car at Sealdah.
• He is credited to have designed the high voltage distribution system for rural electrification in Uttarakhand.
• While working as Chief Electrical Engineer in ER, he developed the methodology for power procurement from the private producers for the first time in IR.
• He was awarded twice by the Union Railway Minister for his outstanding service.
Who: Ghanshyam Singh
When: 21 March 2017
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.