Goverdhan Mehta conferred Cross of the Order of Merit, Germany’s prestigious award
At present, Mehta is the National Research Professor and Lilly-Jubilant Chair Professor at the University of Hyderabad, which is among the top 10 Universities in the country.
Renowned researcher in Chemical Sciences Goverdhan Mehta on 23 February 2016 was conferred with Federal Republic of Germany’s prestigious Cross of the Order of Merit.
Achim Fabig, the German Consul General in Chennai, presented the award to Hyderabad-based professor Mehta.
About Goverdhan Mehta
• At present, Mehta is the National Research Professor and Lilly-Jubilant Chair Professor at the University of Hyderabad, which is among the top 10 Universities in the country.
• He has served as the Director of the IISc, Bengaluru from 1998 to 2005.
• He has also served as the President of the Indian National Science Academy (INSA).
• He was the VC during 1994-1998 of the University of Hyderabad.
• He is a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS), a Foreign Member of the Russian Academy of Sciences and has been conferred with Chevalier de la Legion d’Honneur by the President of France.
• He is a recipient of the Indian Government's Padma Shri Award.
About Cross of the Order of Merit
• The Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany was instituted in 1951 by Federal President Theodor Heuss.
• It is the only honour that may be awarded in all fields of endeavour.
• It is the highest tribute the Federal Republic of Germany can pay to individuals for achievements in political, economic, social or intellectual realm and for all kinds of outstanding services to the nation in the field of social, charitable or philanthropic work.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App