The Women & Child Welfare Department of the Gujarat Government, Gujarat Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF) and three leading dairies have signed tripartite MOU to save the children of Anganwadi from malnutrition.
The MoU was signed in the presence of Gujarat Chief Minister, Vijay Rupani in Gandhinagar. The women and child welfare state minister Nirmalaben Waghwani, Chief Secretary J N Singh, Chairman of the milk marketing federation and Managing Directors of Banas, Sumul and Amul dairies and other senior officials were also present at the occasion.
Provisions of the MoU
The district dairies in cooperation with GCMMF would be providing nutritive food to more than 42 lakh children of 53029 Anganwadies, pregnant-mothers, foster mothers and young girls under the ‘Take Home Ration’ scheme.
Each child would get about 125 gms of Balbhog every day and pregnant-mothers, foster-mothers and young girls would get devibhog of about 145 gms daily in order to provide necessary, sufficient calories and proteins to the body.
Besides this, the GCMMF has prepared a recipe book to teach the beneficiaries about the kind of food items that can be prepared from the ‘Take Home Ration’.
About THR Scheme
• The scheme is a part of the Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS ) that was introduced in 1975.
• ICDS mainly offers a package of services to address the development needs of children under six years of age including pregnant and nursing women and adolescent girls.
• Health care, growth monitoring, immunization, supplementary nutrition and pre-school education are parts of these services directed to Anganwadi Centers (AWC).
• Under the programme, children below six years of age are entitled to 500 calories and 12-15 grams of protein.
• Undernourished children are guaranteed to avail 800 calories and 20-25 grams of protein regularly while pregnant and lactating women are entitled to 600 calories of energy and 18-20 grams of protein a day.
• Hence, the required supplementary nutrition in the form of micronutrient fortified food or energy dense food is distributed as Take Home Ration at Anganwadi Centers.
What: Sign joint MoU