Indian footballer Gurpreet Singh Sandhu in the first week of July 2016 became the first Indian to play in Europa League.
Sandhu was named in Norwegian club Stabaek FC's squad for their Europa League qualifying match against Welsh Premier League side Connah's Quay Nomads FC.
Who is Gurpreet Singh Sandhu?
• Gurpreet Singh Sandhu plays as a goalkeeper for Norwegian Tippeligaen club Stabæk and the India national team.
• He is the first ever Indian to play a competitive match for the first team of a top-division European club.
• He is the fifth Indian to play professionally in Europe after Mohammed Salim, Baichung Bhutia, Sunil Chhetri and Subrata Pal.
• He made his debut for the India U19s against the Iraq U19s in the 2010 AFC U-19 Championship qualification on 5 November 2009.
• He was then called up to the senior Indian team squad of 23 for the 2011 AFC Asian Cup. He made his debut against Turkmenistan in a 1–1 draw.
Now get latest Current Affairs on mobile, Download # 1 Current Affairs App
When: First week of July 2016
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.