Karan Singh, Himachal Pradesh Cabinet Minister passed away on 12 May 2017 at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in Delhi. He was 59.
Singh was suffering from cancer since some time and took his last breath around 1.45 am. He is survived by his wife and a son. His elder son had passed away in an accident in 2012.
The state government is arranging for his funeral at Kullu with full state honours. His body would be flown there from Delhi on 12th itself.
About Karan Singh
• He represented the Banjar assembly constituency in Himachal Pradesh Assembly.
• He was a member of the Kullu royal family and the younger brother of BJP stalwart Maheshwar Singh, the former Raja of Kullu.
• He was a three-time MLA and had served as a minister twice.
• He was elected from the Banjar Assembly constituency thrice in 1990, 1998 and 2012.
• He was initially a part of the Bharatiya Janata Party and had won candidature in 1990 and 1998 and served as the minister of state for primary education under Prem Kumar Dhumal’s government.
• He had switched over to the Congress ahead of the 2002 state assembly elections.
• He was sworn as a minister in the Virbhadra Singh cabinet in August 2015, as the Ayurveda Minister.
Rahul Gandhi, Vice President of Congress condoled Singh’s untimely death and termed it as a big loss for the government and the people of Himachal.
Other prominent leaders including Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh, former chief minister Shanta Kumar, Assembly Speaker BBL Butail and several other ministers and MLAs expressed their grief over Singh's death.
DISCLAIMER: JPL and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.